Disclaimer: The English language text below is provided by the Translation and Terminology Centre for information only
; it confers no rights and imposes no obligations separate from those conferred or imposed by the legislation formally adopted and published. Only the latter is authentic. The original Latvian text uses masculine pronouns in the singular. The Translation and Terminology Centre uses the principle of gender-neutral language in its English translations. In addition, gender-specific Latvian nouns have been translated as gender-neutral terms, e.g. chairperson
Text consolidated by Tulkošanas un terminoloģijas centrs (Translation and Terminology Centre) with amending laws of:
3 November 2005.
If a whole or part of a section has been amended, the date of the amending law appears in square brackets at the end of the section. If a whole section, paragraph or clause has been deleted, the date of the deletion appears in square brackets beside the deleted section, paragraph or clause.
The Supreme Council of the
Republic of Latvia has adopted a Law:
Section 1. National Library of Latvia
(1) The National Library of Latvia (NLL) is a public universal academic library, which serves the intellectual development of the whole nation.
(2) The National Library of Latvia is keeper of all printed publications of the Republic of Latvia, creator of national bibliographic resources and the development centre of the State library system.
(3) The National Library of Latvia is a component of the national treasure of the Republic of Latvia.
Section 2. Legal Status of the National Library of Latvia
The National Library of Latvia shall be the State cultural institution of national significance under the supervision of the Ministry of Culture, which operates in accordance with this Law, other regulatory enactments and by-laws approved by the Cabinet.
[3 November 2005]
Section 3. Operation of National Library of Latvia
(1) The collection of the National Library of Latvia and databases are generally accessible State property.
(2) The historical and cultural monuments present in the Latvian National Library – rare books, manuscripts and other documents – shall be stored and used in accordance with the Law of the Republic of Latvia on Protection of Cultural Monuments (Latvijas Republikas Augstākās Padomes un Valdības Ziņotājs, 1992, No. 10) and the Law of the Republic of Latvia on Archives (Latvijas Republikas Augstākās Padomes un Valdības Ziņotājs, 1991, No. 21).
(3) The National Library of Latvia shall represent the Republic of Latvia in the organisations related with library work, participate in the development and implementation of international programmes of this sector, co-operate with foreign libraries in accordance with the procedures specified in intergovernmental or direct agreements.
Section 4. Sources for Acquiring of Collection of the National Library of Latvia
(1) The National Library of Latvia has the right to receive five obligatory, free of charge copies of printed publications issued in the territory of Latvia and printed publications of publishers of the Republic of Latvia regardless of the place of printing. The publishers of the Republic of Latvia shall ensure the allocation of the obligatory copies for the acquisition of the collection of the National Library of Latvia.
(2) The National Library of Latvia has the right to one free of charge copy from each foreign edition, which is brought into the territory of Latvia for sale.
(3) The National Library of Latvia has the rights of pre-emption to acquire a library owned by a natural person for a bidden price or separate editions that are sold at auction.
(4) The National Library of Latvia has the right to store editions prohibited by the Law.
Section 5. Use of Collection of National Library of Latvia
Each legal and natural person has the right to use the collection, the databases and information system of the National Library of Latvia free of charge and receive full information regarding thereof in accordance with the regulations regarding the use of the library.
[3 November 2005]
Section 6. Functions of National Library of Latvia
The National Library of Latvia, by co-ordinating with other libraries, shall:
- create a collection of literature, ensure the use and preservation thereof for future generations;
- selectively acquire (by purchasing, obtaining by exchange, receiving as donations) and store those printed publications and documents of other nations (foreign states), which are significant for the development of Latvian statehood, science, the national economy, education and culture, as well as shall ensure the utilisation thereof;
- perform functions of the central storage library of Latvia;
- be liable regarding the development of the national bibliography;
- organise and create a joint catalogue of Latvian libraries, in order to ensure the users with information regarding all information resources present in the State;
- perform the functions of the inter-library loan of Latvia; and
- organise and ensure the operation of librarians and an informative service for serving the parliament.
Section 7. Tasks of National Library of Latvia in Development of National Libraries
The National Library of Latvia shall accumulate, compile and analyse the professional information regarding the library sector, realise the standardisation initiative of library processes, participate in the implementation of the basic trends of library operation in the State, provide assistance to public libraries, as well as to libraries that do not have their own methodological centres. The National Library of Latvia shall perform scientific research work in library science, bibliography and bibliology.
[3 November 2005]
Section 8. Administration of National Library of Latvia
The National Library of Latvia shall be managed by a director who is appointed by the Minister for Culture of the Republic of Latvia.
Section 9. Council of the National Library of Latvia [3 November 2005]
Section 10. Financial Activities of the Latvian National Library
(1) In the possession of the National library of Latvia shall be such immovable and movable property of the State, which is necessary for the provision of the functional operation of the library.
(2) Financial resources required for ensuring the operations of the National Library of Latvia shall be created from the State budget subsidies from general revenues, its own income form the paid services provided, other income of its own, as well as donations, gifts, financial assistance resources of foreign states, financial resources granted in project competitions and financial resources granted by local governments.
(3) A library shall not pay postal charges for parcels within the State.
(4) The prices for paid services provided by the National Library of Latvia shall be approved by the Cabinet.
[3 November 2005]
Amendments to Section 10 of this Law regarding deletion of the Paragraph three shall come into force on 1 January 2007.
[30 March 2004]
Chairperson of the Supreme Council of the Republic of Latvia A. Gorbunovs
Secretary of the Supreme Council of the Republic of Latvia I. Daudišs
Rīga, 16 December 1992
Translation © 2006 Tulkošanas un terminoloģijas centrs (Translation and Terminology Centre)