Some Preliminary Questions from “Cooling the Lava”
1. What is the name of the area affected by the volcano? (Go to Google Maps to see some cool images of the area)
2. In what year did this volcano erupt?
3. How long did the eruption last?
4. What was the main tactic used to affect the lava flow?
5. What type of volcanic products were produced by the eruption?
6. In what ways did human interference with the lava possibly affect later parts of the eruption?
7. Do you think the effort to cool the lava had much effect? Explain your answer.
8. If you lived in town would you be “for” or “against” the efforts to cool the lava? Explain your answer
9. If you were from mainland Iceland, would you be for or against the efforts to cool the lava? Explain your answer
10. Do you think efforts such as this would work in Hawaii? Explain.
11. Should efforts like this be tried in Hawaii if necessary? Explain.
Bonus Question: If you were Icelandic, what would your name be?