|10/5/07 edition--still in draft form and not fully accurate. More info and documentation to come. This is a work in progress.
Note: Sources are noted conservatively to allow the text to be more readable as this is a family story and not a pure research project. Information is documented as accurately as currently possible, but in some cases the information is probable or possible—or sometimes theoretical. Sources are noted within the book chapters and referenced at the end of the book. The information is only as good as the sources. In cases where researchers differ on their acceptance of information, debate is included and the reader can decide for themselves. This is a work in progress which will be further researched as generation chapters develop. There may be some typos and some misinformation due to invalid sources. Please send comments, corrections, and adds to CoachBob@CoachGlover.com
THE STORIES AND HISTORY OF
THE BENTLEY FAMILIES
by H. Ross Glover and Robert H. Glover
FOURTEEN PLUS GENERATIONS OF BENTLEYS FROM 16th CENTURY AMPTHILL/ELSTOW, BEDFORDSHIRE CO., ENG.; TO KINGSTOWN, WASHINGTON CO., RI; TO MILLPORT, CHEMUNG CO., NY; TO SOUTH DANSVILLE, STEUBEN CO., NY; TO DANSVILLE, LIVINGSTON CO., NY
Including the Thornton, Burger, Smalt, and Glover Families
Dedicated to ADELIA MARTHA BENTLEY BURGER, grandmother of Robert H. Glover; and to CORINNE HARRIET BURGER GLOVER, wife of H. Ross Glover, mother of Robert H. Glover
Copyright Robert H. Glover, 2007. All rights reserved. Permission granted to use all information for family genealogy with (thank you!) appropriate credits. No part of this document may be used for commercial use without express consent from Robert H. Glover in writing.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
---Migrations of the Bentley Families
---Starting “The Stories and History of the Bentley Families”
---“Bentley” or “Bently”
---Bentley History of Patriotism
---Documentation: Bentley Fact and Fiction
---Team Bentley: Key Bentley Researchers and Advisors
PART I: THE EARLY BENTLEYS OF ENGLAND—GENERATION 1 & 2
--Theory of Captain James Bentley as the father of William Bentley (G1)
--Theory of Robert and Mary Bentley (died 1613 a widow) as the parents of William Bentley (G1)
Chapter 1: WILLIAM BENTLEY (GENERATION 1): THE PROGENITOR OF OUR BENTLEY FAMILY BRANCH
Born prob betw. 1578-1581 in prob Ampthill, Bedfordshire Co, Eng; died before June 27, 1632, poss 1628, in prob Elstow, Bedfordshire Co., Eng.; prob buried in the churchyard at Elstow. Prob. the son of Mary Bentley (died a widow in 1613 in Elstow); poss. the son of Robert Bentley (poss. christened Mar 24, 1560 in Dunstable, Bedfordshire Co.; poss died in 1605 in Elstow)
Married Mary Goodwin (born prob 1580 or 1584 in prob. Bedford; buried a widow July 1, 1632 in the churchyard in Elstow) on May 18 or 20, Bedford, Bedfordshire Co.
Parents of 7 children christened in Elstow:
1. Mary Bentley (born poss. 1602)
2. Margaret Bentley Bunyan (christened Nov 13, 1603; died June 10, 1644 in Elstow), who was the mother of famous author John Bunyan (Pilgrim’s Progress)
3. Elizabeth Bentley (christened Oct 23, 1605)
4. Thomas Bentley (christened July 12, 1607)
5. JOHN BENTLEY
6. Rose Bentley Bunyan (christened July 12, 1612)
7. Emma (or Annie) (christened Feb 8, 1617)
Chapter 2: JOHN BENTLEY (GENERATION 2)
Christened Nov 5, 1608, Elstow church; buried at Ampthill on Mar 26, 1666
Married Mary Betts (poss. born Aug 2, 1607 in Ampthill; poss. died 1673 in Ampthill) on Oct 3, 1630 in the Ampthill church
Parents of 6 children baptized in Ampthill:
1.Robert Bentley (bapt. Mar 25, 1631)
2. Mary Bentley Chad (bapt. Nov 11, 1632)
3. John Bentley (bapt. July 20, 1634; buried July 22, 1686 in Ampthill)
4. Thomas Bentley (bapt. Apr 10, 1636; buried Jan 11, 1667 in Ampthill)
5. James Bentley (bapt. May 6, 1638; buried Jan 28, 1696/7 in Ampthill)
6. WILLIAM BENTLEY
PART II: THE EARLY BENTLEYS OF RHODE ISLAND—GENERATION 3 & 4
Chapter 3: WILLIAM BENTLEY, SR. (GENERATION 3): FIRST BENTLEY TO MIGRATE TO COLONIAL AMERICA in abt. 1671
Prob. born Aug 29, 1640 (perhaps in 1637) in Ampthill, was christened Sep 13, 1640 in Ampthill; died prob July 9, 1720 in Kingstown, RI
Married Sarah (Eldred?) (poss. born abt Oct 10/19, 1650 in Yarmouth, MA; died Dec 28, 1731) in abt 1674.
Parents of 5 children born in Kingstown, RI (not yet fully researched)
1. WILLIAM BENTLEY, JR.
2. James Bentley (born May 26, 1679; poss. died 1768)
3. Jane Bentley Wightman (born abt 1674-1681; died prob. 1729)
4. Thomas Bentley (born June 19, 1685; died Mar 8, 1778, Exeter, RI)
5. Benjamin Bentley (born Mar 27, 1690)
Chapter 4: WILLIAM BENTLEY, JR. (GENERATION 4): FIRST BENTLEY BORN IN AMERICA; FATHER OF 13 CHILDREN
Born July 8, 1677 in Kingstown, RI; died before Mar 21, 1760 in prob. Richmond, RI.
Married Elizabeth (Gardiner?) (born prob. May 22, 1673; died prob. 1723) in abt 1702
Married Bathsheba (Noyes? Greene?) Lewis (born abt 1699 in prob. Westerly, RI; died after Oct 1785 in prob. Richmond, RI) on Aug 1, 1734 in Westerly, King Co., RI.
Parents with Elizabeth of 8 children born in prob. Kingstown or Westerly, RI (not yet fully researched):
1. John Bentley (born poss. June 22, 1700 in Kingstown or poss. Aug 12, 1703 in Richmond, RI)
2. George Bentley (born poss. abt 1701 in prob. Westerly, RI; poss. died in 1802)
3. Elizabeth Bentley (born poss. abt 1703 in prob. Kingstown, RI)
4. Tabitha Bentley (born poss. abt 1705)
5. Caleb Bentley (born poss. abt 1707; died poss. 1793). Possibly the father of 20 children.
6. Ezekiel Bentley (born poss. abt 1710)
7. Ruhamah Bentley James (born poss abt 1715)
8. Mary Bentley James (born poss abt 1717)
Parents with Bathsheba of 5 children (not yet fully researched):
1. William Bentley III (born May 29, 1735, Westerly, RI; died Sep 20, 1800, Troy City, NY). Apparently murdered his second wife with an ax.
2. Thomas Bentley (born Apr 9, 1737, Westerly)
3. James Bentley (born June 6, 1739, Richmond, RI; poss died 1822)
4. GREENE M. BENTLEY, SR.
5. Benjamin Bentley (born Jan 11, 1744 in Richmond, RI; died poss. June 1830)
PART III: THE GREEN BENTLEYS OF RHODE ISLAND AND MILLPORT, VETERAN, NY—GENERATION 5 & 6
Chapter 5: GREENE M. BENTLEY, SR. (GENERATION 5): FRENCH & INDIAN WAR, AND REVOLUTIONARY WAR SOLDIER; FIRST BENTLEY TO MIGRATE TO NEW YORK STATE
Born Mar 23, 1741 in Westerly/Richmond, RI; died prob. 1823 in Millport or Havana, NY; buried in the old Bentley Cemetery, Millport. A state marker honors him there.
Migrated to North Kingston, Washington Co, RI in abt 1766; to Kent, Litchfield Co, CT in abt 1770; to Warwick, Orange Co, NY in 1775; to Northumberland Co, PA in abt 1784; to the Village of Wellsburg, Chemung Twp, Chemung Co, NY in abt 1788; to what is now the Village of Millport, Town of Veteran, Chemung Co, NY in abt 1798. He was the first settler of Wellsburg and Veteran.
Married Dinah (Diana) Straight (Strait) (born abt 1737-1742; died prob. after 1810) in abt. 1759/1760.
Parents of prob. 8 children: (not yet fully researched):
1.Sheba Eunice Bentley Bennett (born Jan 19, 1762 in prob Richmond, RI; died Dec 21, 1799 in Chemung, Chemung Co., NY). Sheba and sister Hannah married Bennett brothers Thaddeus and Ephraim.
2. Diana Bentley (born poss. abt 1763 in prob. Richmond RI) --poss a daughter of Greene
3. Hannah Humility Bentley Bennett (born Jan 2, 1765 in prob. Richmond, RI; died Mar 1, 1836, Willardsburg, Tioga Co, PA; buried Montour Falls, NY)
4. Elizabeth Bentley (born abt 1767 in prob. Kingstown, RI)—poss. a daughter of Greene
5. Sarah Bentley Coryell (born abt 1770 in prob. ???Warwick, NY; died 1818; prob. buried in Montour Falls, NY)
6. Benjamin Bentley (born Sept 24, 1771 in Kent, Litchfield Co, CT; died Sep 7, 1854 in Tioga Co, PA)
7. Rhoda (Herodias) Bentley Teeples (born Jan 2, 1774 in Kent, Litchfield Co. CT; died Jan 2, 1837 in Oakland, MI). Mother of George Bentley Teeples who was born in Dansville, Livingston Co., NY and became a Mormon and migrated to Utah.
8. GREEN BENTLEY, JR.
Chapter 6: GREEN M. BENTLEY, JR. (GENERATION 6)
Born in Warwick, Orange Co., NY Jan 8, 1778; died Nov 10, 1820 in Millport, Chemung Co., NY; buried at the Millport Cemetery.
Married Olive Hopper (born July 25, 1778 in Orange Co., NY; died Nov 14, 1862 in Millport, NY; buried at the Millport Cemetery with second husband Oliver Greeno) in prob. 1797 in prob. Millport, NY.
Parents of prob. 8 children (not yet fully researched):
1. James Bentley (born Dec 21, 1798 in prob. Veteran, NY)
2. GEORGE CARGILL BENTLEY
3. Ezekiel S. Bentley (born June 9, 1803, Millport/Veteran; died May 20, 1826; buried at Millport Cemetery)
4. William C. Bentley (born Jan 20, 1806, Warwick, NY; died Aug 24, 1883, Taylor, Shelby Co., MO.) He married his step-father’s daughter Experience Greeno/Greenough.
5. Esther Bentley Greeno (born abt 1811/1813 /Greenough in prob. Veteran, NY; died Jan 25, 1894, Benton, Nebraska). She married her step-father’s son David Greeno/Greenough.
6. Elisha M. Bentley (born Mar 21, 1813, Warwick, NY; died abt 1895, Iowa)
7. Eunice Bentley Lane Page (born abt 1812 or 1815)
8. Margaret Bentley Thiers Craig (born Mar 14, 1818, Millport; died Dec 8, 1912, Clay Center, Kansas).
PART IV: THE GEORGE BENTLEYS OF SOUTH DANSVILLE, NY—GENERATION 7 & 8
Chapter 7: GEORGE CARGILL BENTLEY (GENERATION 7): FIRST BENTLEY TO MIGRATE TO SOUTH DANSVILLE; FATHER OF 14 CHILDREN AND 2 STEP-CHILDREN
Born Apr 27, 1801, Bentley Creek, Bradford Co., PA; died Dec 26, 1861, South Dansville, Steuben Co., NY; buried Lakeside Cemetery at Loon Lake, Wayland, Steuben Co., NY.
Married Lucinda Cleveland (born July 15, 1802, Sugar Creek, Bradford Co., PA; died July 14, 1856, South Dansville; buried Lakeside Cemetery, Wayland) on Sep 9, 1821 in Millport, NY.
George married Phebe (Phoebe) Ann Welcher Thomas (born abt 1817 in New York) in 1859.
Parents with Lucinda of 13 children (not yet fully researched):
1. Green Bentley (born Oct or Dec 27, 1822, Millport, NY; died Mar 19, 1846, Millport; prob. buried Lakeside Cemetery, Wayland, NY)
2. Mary Bentley Tripp (born Mar 6 or 26, 1824, Millport, NY; died 1902; buried Forest Lawn Cemetery, South Dansville, NY)
3. Loretta Bentley Bullock (born Feb 8, 1826/7, Dix, NY; died Sep 13, 1908, in prob. Wayne Co., Iowa)
4. Almira Bentley (born Aug 25, 1828, Dix, NY)
5. Charrie (Cherry, Charry) Bentley (born poss June 5 or July 4, 1830 in Catlin, Chemung Co., NY)
6. Ephraim Cleveland Bentley (Born May 12, 1832, Dix, NY; died prob. 1860 in prob. South Dansville, NY)
7. Isaac Swartwood Bentley (born May 19, 1834, Millport, NY; died Aug 8 or 25, 1925, Sargent, Nebraska; buried Mount Hope Cemetery, Sargent, Nebraska). Twin of Hannah. Married Lucinda M. Pinchin, a cousin of Martha Pinchin, who married Nelson Cobin, the father of Addie Cobin, who married Burt Gelser, the father of Daphne Gelser, the wife of A. Ross Glover, the father of H. Ross Glover, the husband of Corinne Burger Glover.
8. Hannah Swartwood Bentley (born May 19, 1834, Millport, NY; died July 10, 1834, Dix, NY.
9. John Wixom Bentley (born Sep 12, 1836/7, Dix, NY).
10. Eliza Cleveland Bentley Root (born Oct 1, 1832; died June 1, 1878; buried Forest Lawn Cemetery, South Dansville, NY)
11. Adelia Bentley Smith (born June 4, 1839, Catlin, NY; died Apr 21, 1911 in prob. Fresno, CA)
12. Lucia Octavia Bentley (born May 27, 1841, Dix, NY; died Apr 10, 1843 in prob. South Dansville, NY; buried at Lakeside Cemetery, Wayland, NY)
13. GEORGE EUGENE BENTLEY
Parents with Phebe of:
1. Ernest Cargill Bentley (born Mar 4, 1860, South Dansville, Steuben Co., NY; died, Chicago, Cook Co., Ill Dec 21, 1931; buried Oakside Cemetery, Hillside, Ill.)
Chapter 8: GEORGE EUGENE BENTLEY (GENERATION 8): CIVIL WAR SOLDIER
Born Sep 12,1843 in Dix, Chemung Co., NY; died May 5, 1907 in South Dansville, Steuben Co., NY; buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery, South Dansville.
Married Susan A. (born abt 1845 in Ohio; died betw 1880-1888) in abt 1869.
Parents with Susan of 2 children:
1. Clarance D. Bentley (born Apr. 1870; died June 5, 1870; buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery, South Dansville);
2. WILBUR DUVILLO BENTLEY
George married Christine (born July 1841 in New York; died after 1910) in abt 1888.
PART V: THE WILBUR BENTLEY FAMILY-----GENERATION 9
Chapter 9: WILBUR DUVILLO BENTLEY (GENERATION 9):
Born May 10, 1871 in prob. South Dansville, Steuben Co., NY; died in 1949 prior to March 17th in prob. Rochester, Monroe Co., NY; buried at Mt. Hope Cemetery, Rochester.
He lived in South Dansville, Auburn, and Rochester, NY.
Married Harriet M. Thornton (born May 29, 1873 in England; died in 1905 in prob. Rochester; buried at Mt. Hope Cemetery, Rochester)
Parents with Harriet of 3 children:
1. Ethel Bentley (1900-1910; buried at Mt. Hope Cemetery);
2. ADELIA BENTLEY BURGER;
3. George Henry Bentley (born Mar 28, 1904 in NY; died Feb 16, 1977 in San Luis Obispo Co., CA; married Ilo Erbe Wikle (born May 28, 1912 in Milo, Iowa; died Nov 19, 1992 in Palmdale, CA) in Nov 1942. They are buried at Arroyo Grande District Cemetery, CA. They are the parents of Carolyne Sue Bentley Gibson (born 1944)
Wilbur married Edna Smith Rice (1875-1947; buried at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Rochester) in abt. 1906.
Parents with Edna of 2 children:
1. Dorothy Bentley Kleehammer (Born May 23, 1907; married Elmer Kleehammer Sept 18, 1930; died Nov 26, 1933; buried at Mt. Hope);
2. Vera L. Bentley Baldwin (born Aug 4,1910 ; married Floyd Baldwin in abt 1930; died Feb 10, 1991, Lacey, WA.)
PART VI: THE ADELIA BENTLEY BURGER FAMILY---GENERATION 10
Chapter 10: ADELIA MARTHA BENTLEY BURGER (GENERATION 10)
Born May 22, 1902 in Auburn, NY; died Nov 20, 1980, Noyes Memorial Hospital, Dansville, Livingston Co., NY; buried Forest Lawn Cemetery, South Dansville, Steuben Co., NY.
Moved with her parents to Rochester, NY by 1905. Married Carl Leo Burger (born Mar 26, 1897, South Dansville, NY; died July 13, 1989 at the Hornell, NY Nursing Home; buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery, South Dansville, NY) on Mar 25, 1922 in Rochester, NY, and moved to South Dansville, Steuben Co, NY where she lived the rest of her life.
Parents of 5 children:
1. Hollis William Burger (born Dec 14, 1923 in South Dansville and died prob. that same die or shortly after)
2. CORINNE HARRIET BURGER GLOVER
3. Doris Mae Burger Smalt (born Feb 1,1927, Hornell, NY). She married Larry Norbert Smalt (born Oct 15, 1928 in Wayland, NY) on July 31, 1948 at the United Methodist Church, Dansville. They lived for two years in Wayland and thereafter in Dansville, NY
They are the parents of 6 children, the first born in Wayland and the rest in Dansville, NY:
1, Linda Kay Smalt Weiler (born 1949)
2. Jean Marie Smalt Glover (born 1953)
3. Dianne Louise Smalt Daniel (born 1955)
4. Dan Martin Smalt (born 1957)
5. Jon Eric Smalt (born 1961)
6. Lorraine Sue Smalt Wilson (born 1965)
Doris’ children, grandchildren and great grandchildren are 12th, 13th and 14th generation Bentleys.
4. Wilbur Charles Burger (born Mar 14, 1928, Hornell, NY; died Jan 27, 2004, South Dansville, NY; buried Forest Lawn Cemetery, South Dansville, NY). He married Anita Lemen (born 1929) on July 30, 1955.
They are the parents of 5 children:
1. Maureen Burger Cornell (born 1956)
2. Roy Burger (born 1958)
3. Janice Burger Layton (born 1960)
4. Bonnie Burger (born 1964)
5. Nancy Burger Hepburn (born 1965)
Wilbur’s children and grandchildren are 12th and13th generation Bentleys.
5. Lyle George Burger (born June 24, 1929 in Hornell, NY; died June 21, 2002, Noyes Memorial Hospital, Dansville, NY; buried Forest Lawn Cemetery, South Dansville, NY)
PART VII: THE CORINNE BURGER GLOVER FAMILY----GENERATION 11
Chapter 11: CORINNE HARRIET BURGER GLOVER (GENERATION 11)
Born April 4, 1925, Bethesda Hospital, Hornell, Steuben Co., NY; died Sept 11, 2006, Highland Hospital, Rochester, Monroe Co., NY; buried Forest Lawn Cemetery, South Dansville, NY)
Married Harold Ross Glover (born Dec 2, 1924, Canaseraga, Allegany Co., NY) on Dec 31, 1945 in Dansville, Livingston Co., NY. They lived in Dansville for their entire married life and celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary there at the Sunrise Restaurant on Dec 26, 2005.
H. Ross Glover is a WWII army veteran who earned the Bronze Star and three purple hearts. He lives in Dansville, NY, and North Port, Sarasota Co., Florida.
They are the parents of two children:
1. ROBERT HAROLD GLOVER
2. Donald Carl Glover (born 1949)
He is the parent of 4 children (13th generation Bentleys):
1. Matthew James Glover (born 1978)
2. Mark Francis Glover (born 1978)
3. Michael Paul Glover (born1981)
4. Daniel Joseph Glover (born 1988)
PART VIII: THE ROBERT HAROLD GLOVER FAMILY----GENERATION 12 & 13
Chapter 12: ROBERT HAROLD GLOVER (GENERATION 12)
Born Nov 17, 1946, Dansville Memorial Hospital, Dansville, Livingston Co., NY. He moved to Rome, Oneida Co., NY in 1972; to New York City in 1975; and to Sleepy Hollow, Westchester Co, NY in 1994 to present.
He is the parent of 1 child with first wife Virginia Long:
1. CHRISTOPHER ROSS GLOVER
Married Shelly-lynn Florence in Sleepy Hollow, Westchester Co., NY in 1995.
Chapter 13: CHRISTOPHER ROSS GLOVER (GENERATION 13)
Born in 1981 in New York City, NY. He lives in Washington Heights, New York City.
PART IX: BENTLEY REFERENCE SOURCES AND KEY RESEARCHERS
MIGRATIONS OF THE BENTLEY FAMILIES
Bedfordshire Co, Eng. to RI (Narragansett, Kingston, Westerly, Richmond); to Litchfield Co, CT; to Orange Co., NY; to Northumberland Co, PA; to Chemung Co/Tioga Co, NY.; to South Dansville, Steuben Co, NY; to Rochester, Monroe Co., NY; to South Dansville, Steuben Co, NY; to Dansville, Livingston Co, NY; to New York City; to Sleepy Hollow, Westchester Co., NY.
STARTING “THE STORIES AND HISTORY OF THE BENTLEY FAMILIES”
This project started in the summer of 2006 with limited resources. Bob Glover (G12) was working with his father H. Ross Glover on the genealogy of his Glover, Gelser, and Cobin families and inquired of his mother, Corinne Burger Glover (G11), about her Bentley and Burger family history. She provided a list of family birth, marriage, and death dates going back to her grandparents Wilbur Bentley (G9) and Harriet Thornton Bentley. It listed Wilbur’s children, including their spouses and children, with his first wife and second wife (Edna). The list had been handwritten by Corinne’s mother Adelia Bentley Burger (G10) and then retyped by H. Ross Glover for his wife Corinne. So then we had some information on generations G9-G13, but who came before them was unknown.
We contacted Carolyne Bentley Gibson, the niece of Adelia and daughter of George Henry Bentley. She recalled that when she was 13 years old in 1957 she visited the Forest Lawn Cemetery in South Dansville with her father and saw a tombstone for a George E. Bentley who was a Civil War veteran. She was told by her father that he was an ancestor, but couldn’t recall exactly the relationship. At that point neither of the daughters of Adelia Bentley Burger----Corinne Burger Glover and Doris Burger Smalt----knew anything of the man who was their mother’s grandfather. This despite having spent many hours as children working with their father Carl Burger at the South Dansville Cemetery where George E. Bentley is buried. H. Ross Glover located that old tombstone which noted that George E. died in 1907 at age 63. Thus he would be the right age to be the father of Wilbur, but no family member recalled Wilbur having been from South Dansville, rather than from Rochester, NY.
In the 1880 Census for South Dansville, Bob Glover found George E. Bentley as the father of 9 year old Wilbur Bentley. Both were the right age. A Civil War record for George E. Bentley matched the information on the South Dansville tombstone. G9 was now established as George E. Bentley. But who was his father? The Census noted that his father was born in PA.
After the death of Corinne Burger Glover on Sept 11, 2006, among her possessions was found a wooden box passed on to her from her mother. Corinne was very proud and protective of that box, made by Wilbur Bentley for his daughter Adelia‘s keepsakes. In it was a list of family history, and several photos of the Burgers and Bentleys. Also found in the box was a book of notes written to Harriet Thornton Bentley by her husband Wilbur in 1899 in Auburn, NY, and notes from her brother Harry, sister Clara (dated 1883, Montreal) and friends from Canada and England. This was our first clue for the Thornton family research. We also were able to research from this starting point the descendants of Wilbur Bentley, his first wife Harriet, and his second wife Edna. The box also included the only known photo of Harriet Thornton Bentley, from whom Corinne Harriet Burger Glover got her middle name but never met as Harriet died young in 1905.
Among the photos in the box was a labeled one of George Eugene Bentley. Now we knew his middle name and that he for sure was connected to Wilbur and Adelia Bentley. Also in the photo were Ephiram Bentley, Mary Tripp Bentley, Eliza Bentley Root, and Catherine Adelia Bentley Mehlenbacher. Were they the brother and sisters of George E.? Was Adelia Bentley Burger named after the sister of her grandfather George E. Bentley? The photo seemed to list the married names of the sisters and this helped open more doors to the past.
An Internet search revealed a George Cargill Bentley, born in PA, listed by Ellen Bates (9) in her research for the Church of Latter Day Saints as the father of a George E. Bentley. Also listed were the other names in the photo as some of the 14 children of George C. An 1860 Census showed George C. Bentley of South Dansville, born in PA, as the father of George E. Bentley. G7 was now established as George Cargill Bentley. More Internet research found that George C. was the son of Green Bentley, Jr. (G6), who was the son of Green Bentley, Sr (G5), who was a soldier in the French and Indian War, and the Revolutionary War. From there the research became more confusing as the information was often in conflict. But it all indicated that the Bentleys migrated from England to Rhode Island before coming to New York State.