Section: Microbiology Lab Specimen Management Manual
Subject Title: Gram Stainer M1AUM4
Prepared by: QA Committee
Original Date: April 17, 2008
Issued by: Laboratory Manager
Approved by: Laboratory Director
Annual Review Date: May 31, 2013
OPERATING THE MIDAS III STAINER
CONTROLS AND INDICATORS
PROGRAM Enter processing steps for a program
REVIEW View each successive programmed processing step
Push ENTER to view each processing step
Push PROGRAM to write over incorrect steps
Push ENTER to the end of the program
RUN Starts execution of a program
STOP Pauses the stainer and raises the tower
(Press RUN to continue or 1X, 2X, 3X, Program will stop and the
arm will go to the Home Position)
ENTER Enters selected processing steps into system memory
CLEAR Push PROGRAM button and Program No. then ENTER
Press CLEAR to start programming the new sequence
To clear an incorrect entry, use “0” or write over the entry
ARROW UP/DOWN Used to navigate
NUMBER PAD Used to select program numbers and processing steps
UNIT DISPLAY - RUN INFORMATION
PROGRAM NUMBER Indicates program currently being run or reviewed.
STATION NUMBER Indicates Station currently being run or reviewed.
STATION TIME Indicates time remaining in program at Station being used.
(STA is displayed
DIPPING STATUS/ Displays DIP for dipping, no dipping (---) (By temperature area)
STEP NUMBER Indicates step currently being run or reviewed.
TEMP °C Indicates temperature currently being run or reviewed. (Displayed to the right in review area)
TOTAL TIME Indicates total time remaining in the program.
DAILY OPERATION AND QUALITY CONTROL
1. Turn on rinse water tap
2. Replace staining solutions (crystal violet must be freshly filtered)
3. Each morning a QC slide of E coli and S aureus is included with the first staining run. QC slides are obtained from the QC bench technologist.
4. At the end of the shift, discard all staining solutions. Rinse and dry stain containers for refilling the next morning.
.LOADING AND STAINING SLIDES
1. Lay the slide carrier on its side. Slide up the metal retaining plate on the slide
2. Load the slides into the carrier with the smear end away from retaining plate.
• The slide carrier can hold from 1 to 20 slides in any slots. (Optional 30 slide
3. Slide down the retaining plate to hold the slides in the carrier.
4. Mount the slide carrier onto the two rods of the tower arm. Gently and firmly slide
the carrier back until the magnetic catch engages. (Caution: Do not move arm left
or right or up or down)
5. Turn on the stainer and wait for the unit to initialize. (The On/Off Switch is by the
input Power Cord. The On position is indicated by I and the Off position is indicated by O
on the switch face.)
• The Rinse Station is activated approximately 20 seconds prior to its use and turns
off approximately 2 minutes after its use, or at the end of the cycle
5. Press RUN.
6. Press Program Number 1 for all grams except sputum and 2 for sputum, press ENTER. The run will start,
the arm will initialize, and the tower will move to the first Station in the sequence. As the
slide carrier runs in each Station, the unit will display run information.
7. To pause the run, press STOP.
• To continue the run, press RUN.
• To cancel the run, press STOP. Wait for tower to go to vertical Home Position
and then press STOP 3 additional times in succession to reset the system or anytime
the arm is up, push STOP 3 times to reset to the Home Position.
8. An audible beep sounds six times at the completion of the program and the Standby
Mode is entered. (Scrolling marquee will appear.)
• The Drying Station continues to run approximately 2 minutes after the run has
STAINER SET-UP AND PROGRAMMING
The Midas III stainer must be programmed when first installed according to the
instructions in this section. It is not necessary to program again, except to change
existing processing steps. Even when the stainer is turned off or power is interrupted
the programs are stored in memory.
Entering a Program
1. Turn power on by using the ON/OFF switch on back of unit by the power cord and wait
for the unit to initialize.
2. Press PROG to enter the programming mode.
3. The the Midas III Stainer has 9 available programs numbered 1 through 9. Select a Program Number and press that number on the keypad.
• Selected Program Number is displayed. Press ENTER
If the Midas III Stainer already has a protocol stored under the selected Program Number, it will display.
PRESS CLEAR FOR NEW PROGRAM.
Press CLEAR to start programming the new sequence.
4. Enter the Station Number corresponding to the vessel location desired. Stations1 through 6 are available. Press that number on the keypad. Press ENTER
• In the far-left Home Position the tower arm is at Station 6. Station 1 is the far right Station. Count to the left to determine the corresponding Station Numbers for programming. Station Numbers are marked on the platform.
• Rinse vessel is stationary at Station 5. Drying Station is stationary at Station 6.
5. Enter the required time for the selected Station, 00:01 - 99:59 (min:sec).
6. Using the arrows select agitation or no agitation.
7. If Station 5 is selected, the Midas III Stainer will ask for the flow rate selection after programming the Agitation Mode. Use
to select the rinse water flow rate from the choices of 0, 500, 1000, 1500 and 2000ml/min. When desired flow rate is
displayed, press ENTER to make the selection.
8. Press ENTER.
• The first Station is now programmed. The display is cleared for the next Station.
9. Repeat steps 4 through 7 for each step in the staining sequence.
• The programmed sequence can contain up to 29 steps, in any order.
10. After the final step is programmed Press Enter and the unit is displaying a blank step, press STOP to save the program.
MSH STAINING PROGRAM PROTOCOLS
Program Number 1 All grams except Sputum
Step Number Station Number Time in Agitation Selected Flow Rate (stn 5 only)
(minutes : seconds) (ml/min)
1 1 CRYSTAL VIOLET 01:00 YES
2 5 WATER 00:30 YES 1500
3 2 IODINE 01:00 YES
4 5 WATER 00:30 YES 1500
5 3 DECOLOURIZER 00:15 YES
6 5 WATER 00:30 YES 1500
7 4 SAFRANIN 01:00 YES
8 5 WATER 00:30 YES 1500
9 6 DRY 02:00 @ 45o C
Program Number 2 Sputum
Same as program 1 except STEP 5 (decolourizer) is 20 seconds
UNIVERSITY HEALTH NETWORK/MOUNT SINAI HOSPITAL, DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY
NOTE: This is a CONTROLLED document. Any documents appearing in paper form that are not stamped in red "MASTER COPY" are not controlled and should be checked against the document (titled as above) on the server prior to use