Letters & Sciences 1 – Fall 2013 Contact: Corliss Lee & Tim Dilworth
Library Assignment – Sample Bibliography - Examples
Note: do NOT use this format when you send in your citations. The examples below are broken down so you can see the parts of the citation; this is NOT proper citation format.
Orbe, Mark P. "Representations of Race in Reality TV: Watch and Discuss." Critical Studies in Media Communication 25.4 (2008): 345-352.
Author: Mark P. Oribe
Title of the article: Representations of Race in Reality TV: Watch and Discuss
Journal title: Critical Studies in Media Communication
Issue number: 4
Year of publication: 2008
Page numbers: 345-352
Winters, Loretta I., and Herman L. DeBose. New Faces in a Changing America: Multiracial Identity in the 21st Century. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications Inc., 2003.
Authors or editors: Loretta I. Winters and Herman L. DeBose
Title of the book: New Faces in a Changing America: Multiracial Identity in the 21st Century
Place of Publication: Thousand Oaks
Publisher: Sage Publications Inc.
Year of publication: 2003
Fine, Michelle, and Adrienne Asch. “Disability Beyond Stigma: Social Interaction, Discrimination, and Activism.” The culture and psychology reader. Eds. Goldberger, Nancy Rule; Veroff, Jody Bennet New York: New York University Press. 1995. 536-558
Authors of the chapter: Michelle Fine and Adrienne Asch
Title of the chapter: Disability Beyond Stigma: Social Interaction, Discrimination, and Activism
Title of the book: The Culture and Psychology Reader
Editors of the Book: Nancy Rule Goldberger, Jody Bennet Veroff
Place of Publication: New York
Publisher: New York University Press
Year of publication: 1995
Page numbers of chapter: 536-558
Some cites borrowed from the bibliography of Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
1. Altieri, Miguel. “The Ecological Role of Biodiversity in Agroecosystems,” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 74 (1999) 19-31.
2. Bray, George, et al. “Consumption of High-fructose Corn Syrup in Beverages May Play A Role in Epidemic of Obesity,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 79 (2004), 537-43.
3. Brillat-Savarin, Jean-Anthemlme. The Physiology of Taste. Trans. Anne Drayton (London: Penguin, 1994).
4. Bower Anne, L. "Recipe for History: The National Council of Negro Women's Five Historical Cookbooks." African American Foodways: Explorations of History and Culture. Ed. Anne L. (ed and introd ). Bower. Urbana, IL: U of Illinois P, 2007. 153-174.
5. Chassy, A. W., et al. “A Three-Year Comparison of the Content of Antioxident Microconstituents and Several Quality Characteristics in Organic and Conventionally Managed Tomatoes and Bell Peppers,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 54 (2006), 8244-52.
6. Curl, Cynthia L., et al. “Organophosphorus Pesticide Exposure of Urban and Suburban Pre-school Children with Organic and Conventional Diets,” Environmental Health Perspectives 3 no. 3 (March 2003).
7. Critser, Greg. Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2003).
8. Drenowski, Adam, and S. E. Specter. “Poverty and Obesity: The Role of Energy Density and Energy Costs in the American,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 79 (January 2004), 6-16.
9. Flower, Kori B., et al. "Cancer Risk and Parental Pesticide Application in Children of Agricultural Health Study Participants." Environmental Health Perspectives 112.5 (2004): 631-635.
10. Hetherington, Marion M., and Barbara J. Rolls. "From Protocols to Populations: Establishing a Role for Energy Density of Food in the Obesity Epidemic." Obesity: Causes, Mechanisms, revention, and Treatment. Ed. Elliott M. Blass. Sunderland, MA, US: Sinauer Associates, 2008. 301-318.
11. Luttwak, Edward. “Sane Cows, or BSE Isn’t the Worst of It,” London Review of Books 23, no. 3 (February 8, 2001)
12. Murdoch, Graham. "Popular Representation and Postnormal Science: The Struggle Over Genetically Modified Foods." Biotechnology and Communication: The Meta-Technologies of Information. Ed. Sandra Braman. Mahwah, NJ, US: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers, 2004. 227-259
13. Narayan, K. M. Venkat, Et al. “Lifetime Risks for Diabetes Mellitus in the United States,” Journal of the American Medical Association 290 (2003), 1884-90.
14. Nierenberg, Danielle. Happier Meals: Rethinking the Global Meat Industry (Washington, DC: Worldwatch Institute, 2005).
15. Petrini, Carlo, ed. Slow Food: Collected Thoughts on Taste, Tradition, and the Honest Pleasures of Food (White River Junction, VT: Chelsea Green Publishing, 2001).
16. Pimentel, David, et al. “Environmental, Energetic and Economic Comparisons of Organic and Conventional Farming Systems,” Bioscience 55 no. 7 (July 2005), 573-82.
17. Rampton, Sheldon, and John Stauber. Mad Cow U.S.A.: Could the Nightmare Happen Here? (Monroe, ME: Common Courage Press, 1977).
18. Russell, Edmund. War and Nature: Fighting Humans and Insects with Chemicals from World War I to Silent Spring (Cambridge, U.K.: Cambridge University Press, 2001).
19. Schwab, Jim. Raising Less Corn and More Hell: Midwestern Farmers Speak Out (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1988).
20. Stanford, Lois. "The Role of Ideology in New Mexico's CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) Organizations: Conflicting Visions between Growers and Members." Fast Food/slow Food: the cultural economy of the global food system Ed. Richard Wilk. Lanham, MD; United States: Altamira Press, 2006. 181-200.
21. Tisdale, Sallie. The Best Thing I Ever Tasted: The Secret of Food (New York: Riverhead, 2001).
22. Wansink, Brian, and John C. Peters. "The Food Industry Role in Obesity Prevention." Handbook of Obesity Prevention: A Resource for Health Professionals. Ed. Shiriki Kumanyika and Ross C. Brownson. New York, NY, US: Springer Science + Business Media, 2007. 193-208.
23. Warman, Arturo. Corn & Capitalism: How a Botanical Bastard Grew to Global Dominance. Trans. Nancy L. Westrate (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2003).
24. Weatherford, Jack. Indian Givers: How the Indians of the Americas Transformed the World (New York: Crown, 1988).
25. Wechsler, Henry and Bernice Wuethrich. “College sports and Alcohol” Dying to drink : confronting binge drinking on college campuses Ed. Henry Wechsler and Bernice Wuethrich. Emmaus, Pa: Rodale; New York: Distributed to the book trade by St. Martin’s Press (2002) 54-70.
26. Winson, Anthony. “Bringing Political Economy into the Debate on the Obesity Epidemic,” Agriculture and Human Values 21 (2004), 299-312.
27. Zwarun, Lara, and Jason Chambers. "Alcohol Advertising: A Match made in Heaven Or a Pact with the Devil?" Advertising and Society: Controversies and Consequences. Ed. Carol J. Pardun. Wiley-Blackwell. xii: 205 pp, 2009. 76-93.