I. With the following passages, please name the writers.(10%)
( ) 1."Farewell,my friends ! Farewell, my foes !
My please with these, my love with those:
The bursting tears my heart declare_______
Farewell the bonnie banks of ayr ! "
( ) 2. The curfew tolls the knell of parting day.
The lowing herd wind slowly o'er the lea;
The plowman homeward plods his weary way,
And leaves the world to blackness and to me.
( ) 3. My mother bore me in the southern wild,
And I am black, but o ! my soul is white;
White as an angel is the English child,
But I am black, as if brereav'd of light.
( ) 4. Vain, very vain, my weary search to find
That bliss which only centers in the mind.
Why have I strayed from pleasure and repose
To seek a good each government bestows ?
( ) 5. When I had once addressed your lordship in public, I had exhausted all the art of pleasing which a retired and uncouthly scholar can possess...Is not a Patron, my lord,
one who looks with unconcern on a man struggling for life in the water, and, when he has
reached ground, encumbers him with help ?
( ) 6. Break, break, break,
On thy cold gray stones, sea !
And I would that my tongue could utter
The thoughts that arise in me.
( ) 7. The year's at the spring
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The will-side's few-pearled;
The lard's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn:
God's in the heaven ______________
All's right with the world !
( ) 8. If thou must love me, let it be for naught
Except for love's sake only. Do not say
"I love her for her smile...her look...her way
Of speaking gently...For a trick of thought
( ) 9. I shall not see the shadows,
I shall not feel the rain;
I shall not hear the nightingale
Sing on as if in pain.
( ) 10.Cast a cold eye
On life, on death.
Horseman, pass by !
II. Some of the following statements are true, some false. Mark them out.(20%)
( ) 1. W.B.Yeats was a poet and dramatist, who was born in Ireland.
( ) 2. Thomas Hardy was only a novelist, who didn't write any poem at all.
( ) 3. John Galsworthy was one of the most prominent of the 20th century English realistic writers.
( ) 4. Mrs Warren's profession is one of the "Plays Unpleasent" by Bernard Shaw.
( ) 5. Thomas Stearns Eliot was a poet, dramatist and a critic.
( ) 6. Alfred Tennyson was the only English poet ever to have been ennobled purely for poetry.
( ) 7. Ben Jonson was a famous poet-dramatist, who advocated reformation in classic drama of old Greek and Roman masters.
( ) 8. Shakespeare's long experience with the stage and his intimate knowledge of dramatic art thus acquired doesn't make him a master----hand for play----writing but
( ) 9. " O dark, dark, dark, amid the blaze of noon,
Irrecoverably dark,total eclipse
Without all hope of day !"
The above lines are from Byron's Don Juan, not from John Milton's Samson Agonistes.
( )10. Robert Burns and Walter Scott were born in Scotland, both of them are the famous national poets.
III. Put the following literary terms into Chinese. (25%)
1. Aesthetic 11. iambus 21. cavalier poets
2. Imagism 12. poet 22. enlighten
3. Modernism 13. romanticism 23. sentimentalism
4. tragedy 14. trochee 24. naturalism
5. comedy 15. Critical Realism 25. historical novel
6. monologue 16. Renaissance
7. blank verse 17. humanism
8. sonnet 18. artistic
9. quatrain 19. literary career
10. anapest 20. metaphysical poets
IV. Write down the name of the book with the given characters. (10%)
1. Lady Chatterley 2. Tess and Angel Clare
3. Edith and Carker 4. Beck Sharp and Amelia Sedley
5. Mr.Rochester 6. Heathcliff and Catherine
7. John Barton and his daughter Mary 8. Adam Bede and Hetty Sorrel
9. Clarissa 10.Joseph Andrews
V. Link the author and the work together.(12%)
1. Shakespeare A. Dombey and Son
2. Dickens B. Ivanhoe
3. W.B.Yeats C. Tess of D'urbervilles Villes
4. T.S.Eliot D. Heartbreak House
5. Henry James E. Women in Love
6. Virginia Woolf F. Prometheus Unbound
7. James Joyce G. The Portrait of a Lady
8. Walter Scott H. the Tower
9. Bernard Shaw I. Ullysses
10. Hardy,Thomas J. Night and Day
11. D.H.Lawrence K. Waste Land
12. Shelly L. Othello
VI.Fill in the blanks.(8%)
1. __________________was the work that first make Dickens famous as a popular writer of novel.
2.After he went blind,Milton wrote and finished his three great works:epic masterpieces_________and ________and one biblical tragedy ___________.
3. Wordsworth was the world's greatest interpreter on ___________.He looked upon himself as _______________.
4.ALexander Pope was the undisputable master in the field of ______________and ___________verse.
5. Burns is a patriotic poet as well as a national symbol of ____________.
6. In 1884 ____________was made a Baron___________the only English poet ever to have been ennobled purely for his poetry.
7. "Dover Beach" is a poem by _____________,who was also a famous critic.
8. ________________was not only the last but the most perfect of romanticists.
VII. Comment on 20th century English modernism literature.(15%)
标 准 答 案
I. 1. Robert Burns 2. Thomas Gray 3. William Blake 4. Oliver Goldsmith
5. Samuel Johnson 6. Alfred Tennyson 7. Robert Browning 8. Elizabeth Barret
9. Christina Georgina Rossetti 10. W.B.yeats
III.1.审美原理 2. 意象主义(派) 3. 现代主义 4. 悲剧 5. 喜剧 6.独白
7.素体诗 8. 商籁体(十四行诗) 9. 四行诗 10. 抑抑扬格 11.抑扬格 12.音步
13.浪漫主义 14. 扬抑格 15. 批判现实主义 16. 文艺复兴 17.人文主义 18.艺术的
19.文学生涯 20. 玄学诗人 21. 骑士诗人 22. 启蒙主义 23.感伤主义 24.自然主义 25.历史小说
IV.1. Lady Chatteley's Lover 2. Tess of D'urbervilles 3. Dombey and Son
4. Vanity Fair 5. Jane Eyre 6. Wuthering Heights
7. Mary Barton,a Tale of Manchester Life 8. Adam Bede 9. Clarrisa Harlowe 10.Joseph Andrews
V. 1.(L) 2. (A) 3.(I) 4.(K) 5.(G) 6. (H) 7. (I) 8. (B) 9.(D) 10. (C) 11.(E) 12. (F)
VI.1. The Pickwick Papers 2. Paradise Lost, Paradise Regained, Samson Agonistes
3. nature's message, nature's priest 4. satire, didactic 5. Scotland 6. Tennyson 7. Matthew Arnold 8. Keats