With the growth of modern religions, another, simpler idea of how men should behave developed. Referred to as the Golden Rule, it is taught by religions as diverse as Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, and Brahmanism. Christianity's version is found in Matthew 7:12:
During the Middle Ages, the code of chivalry was developed to teach knights how they should behave. One form of this code read as follows:
In the early years of the 20th century, a man named Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell, a British military hero, took all these codes of conduct and turned them into a code of conduct for boys. His Scout Law, as he called it, read as follows:
A few years later, Baden-Powell's program and ideas crossed the Atlantic Ocean. With the founding of the Boy Scouts of America, Baden-Powell's Scout Law was turned into a code that more than 100 million boys have learned and lived by. The Scout Law has been repeated and practiced by hundreds of boys from the Town of Lunenburg for those 87 years since the founding of the first troop in Town in 1914.
Competition between the two Lunenburg troops in the mid 1960’s was fierce. Both troops were large and very active with strong Scout leaders. Both troops were consistently on the top of council wide activities, especially camporees.
The City of Fitchburg celebrated their 200th
Anniversary of secession from the Town of Lunenburg and incorporating as a separate town in 1964. As part of the City’s year long celebration, the Fitchburg Area Council sponsored the Heritage Camporee in May, 1964. Over 400 Scouts participated. This was the big showdown between Troop 1 and Troop 3.
The winner of the camporee was Troop 1-Lunenburg with 289 points. Troop 3-Lunenburg came in second with 282 points and Troop 17 of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Fitchburg came in third with 266 points. The individual patrol winners were the following:
Stag Patrol, Troop 3-Lunenburg Patrol Leader: Francis McCauliff
Moose Patrol, Troop 1-Lunenburg Patrol Leader: Stephen Moorcroft
Third Place (tie):
Panther Patrol, Troop 1-Lunenburg Patrol Leader: David Demers
Flaming Arrow Patrol, Troop 10 Townsend Patrol Leader: James Aho
The Camporee Award, an engraved slab of wood that had been around since the 1930’s was awarded annually to the winner of the camporee. Any troop that won the award three years in a row would be able to retire the award and keep it permanently.
In 1965, the Frontier Camporee was held in Lunenburg off of Mulpus Rd. Troop 1 of the United Parish won the camporee for the second year in a row. The Covered Wagon Patrol of Troop 1 took first place and the Panther Patrol of Troop 1 took third place.
In 1966, the Friendship Camporee was held in Ashby and Lunenburg Troop 1 again came in first, retiring the Fitchburg Area Council’s Camporee Award. After this camporee, Troop 1 retired from competition and for the two following years at the spring camporee, camped with a troop of special needs Scouts from Fitchburg. This was the first outdoor camping experience for many of the special needs kids.
On July 26 through August 1, 1964, eight of the 44 scouts that attended the second annual Fitchburg Area Council6 Junior Leader Training Course at Camp Split Rock in Ashburnham were from Lunenburg troops. The Scouts that attended were:
Gary Gilchrest Fox Patrol Troop 1
Frank Reed Fox Patrol Troop 3
Donald Barney Fox Patrol Troop 3
David Picard Eagle Patrol Troop 3
Perley Stewart Eagle Patrol Troop 3
Ernest Cutting Beaver Patrol Troop 1
George Sargent Wolf Patrol Troop 3
David Demers Raccoon Patrol Troop 1
The Nashua Valley Council was the result of a merger of the Fitchburg Area Council and Wachusett Council in 1965. In 1967, the Nashua Valley Council was one of 25 councils in the United States that was invited to put together a contingent of 10 Eagle Scouts to serve on the Scout Service Corps at Expo 67 in Montreal. This world’s fair was a celebration of the centennial anniversary of the formation of the Dominion of Canada. Two Eagle Scouts from Lunenburg Troop 1, Charles Whitcomb and David Demers, were members of the Nashua Valley Council’s troop.
Troop 4 (1965-1969)
Troop 4 was started in 1965 in the Whalom District and was known as the “Tri-Town Troop.” This moniker came from the Tri-Town Drive-In which was just down Youngs Rd. from the troop’s meeting place and the fact that the boys came from Lunenburg, Fitchburg and Leominster. Troop 4 was sponsored by VFW Post #7388 which was located in the old West School at the corner of Whalom Rd. and Youngs Rd. The first Scoutmaster was Earl Cote. Roland Leblanc, Jr. was one of the adults involved in starting the troop who then became the Scoutmaster after Earl. Roland was a Scout in Troop 3 in the 1940’s and has been an active adult leader in Troop 1728 for many years. Towards the end of the troop’s life, they met in the All Saints Chapel near Whalom Lake.
The charter members of Troop 4 were:7
*Also a former member of Troop 1
The late 1960’s and 1970’s were difficult times for the Boy Scouts of America in general. There was significant anti-Vietnam and anti-establishment sentiment. Membership in the Boy Scouts decreased on a national level, which was reflected locally. This has resulted in difficulty recruiting Cub Scout leaders in the 1990’s because the majority of young parents were never in scouting.
Troop 1728 (1980-Present)
Troop 1728 was chartered in 1980, with the United Parish again becoming the chartered organization of a Boy Scout troop in Lunenburg. Even though belief in God and a Scout being reverent, the 12th
point of the Scout Law, are important parts of Scouting, the Boy Scout troops in Lunenburg have always been non-denominational. This has resulted in a mix of boys from throughout the Town and surrounding areas and community based scouting. It was quite appropriate for the new unit to be called Troop 1728, which is the year the Town of Lunenburg was incorporated.
The charter members of Troop 1728 were:
Stephen A. Cunha
James M. Flanagan
C. J. Floros
Arthur M. Hayes, Jr.
Bjorn C. Larson
Mark T. Mrowka
Troop 1728 had small beginnings but had a consistent presence in the community. In the early 1990’s, Art Kennedy took over as Scoutmaster. As an Eagle Scout, Art brought the level of activity in scouting to a new level. This was further advanced by Carl Rose, who took over as Scoutmaster in 1995. Carl, also an Eagle Scout, was retired from the U. S. Army and had been stationed at Fort Devens. Carl’s scouting experience brought additional program activity and growth to the troop. In 1997, Dave Demers became the Scoutmaster. Dave was the first Eagle Scout in Troop 1 at the United Parish in 1966. Eight of the adult leaders registered in 2001 of Troop 1728 are Eagle Scouts.
Troop 1728 is a very active troop with a diverse program. Service to the community is a primary objective. Projects have included rebuilding of playgrounds, trail construction in conservation land, handicapped access to an athletic field, flower gardens in the center of town, and a program to videotape church services with the tapes being made available to the elderly. In 1998, the troop was awarded a $1,000 grant from Walmart for service projects in the community. With the assistance of the Lions Club, the troop raises several thousand dollars for “Scouting for Food” to support the Lunenburg Community Council and their holiday food basket project.
Outdoor and camping activities are conducted monthly. Events that have been established include a trip to the White Mountains the first weekend after Labor Day and the annual climb and camp out on top of Mt. Watatic the weekend between Christmas and New Years. In 1997, the troop climbed Mt. Washington and other climbs have included Mt. Lafayette
, Mt. Adams and Mt. Monroe. In June of 1999, the troop spent a weekend on Lovell’s Island in Boston Harbor. In the spring of 2001, the troop traveled to New York City. The troop camped at the Alpine Scout Reservation on the Palisades in New Jersey and travel by bus into New York for two days.
During the summer of 2000, 8 Scouts and 4 Scouters went to the Philmont Scout Ranch in the Sangre de Christo Mountains in northeast New Mexico. The contingent went on a 64 mile, mountain backpacking trek with most of it over 8,000 ft. in elevation.
In 2001, 11 Scouts and 3 leaders from 1728 attended the National Jamboree at Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia. Two days were spent touring Washington, DC.
In 2003, another crew from Troop 1728 challenged Philmont with a mountain backpacking trek including climbing Black Mountain in full packs.
Other high adventure trips undertaken by Scouts and Scouters from 1728 have included the Florida Sea Base and white water rafting.
The membership of Troop 1728 has steadily increased during the 1990’s and in 2001, 54 scouts and 26 adult leaders were registered.
Troop 1728 has produced more Eagle Scouts (26) than any other troop that has existed in Lunenburg. As of rechartering in January 2004, Troop 1728 has completed 283 months of providing a values based program with the aims of character, citizenship and fitness for the boys of Lunenburg.
No history of the Boy Scouts in Lunenburg would be complete without thanking Richard Bishop. Mr. Bishop has been a Scout leader and supporter for over 50 years and his dedication to the Scouting program in this community and at the Council level has been extraordinary.
THE SCOUTMASTERS of LUNENBURG SCOUT TROOPS
Troop 1 (1914-?):
Henry Parker 1914-
Rev. Lionel Whiston
Troop 3 (1926-1982)9
Rev. James Alcock 1926-1928
William B. Maudsley 1928-1930
George F. Fellows 1930-1932
Clayton Spaulding 1932-1935
C. W. Hague 1935-1936
Lester Wakefield 1936-1938
Alfred Taylor 1938-1939
Andrew Karkos 1939-1942
Frederick Gale 1944-1945
Edward Field 1945-1947
Arthur Colvin 1947-1948
James Newcombe 1948-1949
Leslie Griffiths 1949-1950
Alvah Reida 1950-1951
James Parker Rice Jr. 1951-1955
Stuart McDermott 1956-1957
Harold Wornham 1957-1958
William Hudson 1958
Mark LaCoss 1958-1960
Lou Forgues 1961-1964
Bertrand Therrien 1964-1965
James Rutledge 1965-1966
Robert Nelson 1966-1970
Milton Carpenter 1970-1972
Gerald Brault 1972-1973
Malcom Price 1973-1974
Bruce Bosselman 1974-1976
Peter Stafford 1976-1977
Bruce Bosselman 1977-????
Louis R. Caissey ????-1982
Troop 1 (1963-1971):
Richard Moorcroft 1963-1970
Robert V. Stafford 1970-1971
Troop 4 (1965-1969):
Earl Wm. Cote 1965-1967
Roland Leblanc 1967-1969
Roger Rheault 1969
Troop 6 (1971-1978):
Kenneth Abrams 1971-????
Francis McCauliff ????-1978
Troop 1728 (1980-Present):
Joseph Snider, Jr. 1980
Arthur Hayes 1981
Doug Fletcher 1981-1985
Fred Salo 1986-1987
John Art Kennedy 1990-1995
Carl Rose 1995-1997
David P. Demers 1997-2001
Robin Brideau 2001-2004
Richard Tremblay 2004-2007
Chuck Paquette 2007-
CUB SCOUTING IN LUNENBURG
Cub Scouts, the Boy Scout program for younger boys, was started in Lunenburg in 1935, the same year Cub Scouting became an official part of the Boy Scouts of America. (A younger boy program had been studied for several years and some experimental units were started in 1930 in different parts of the country.)
Pack 1728, even though having different unit numbers and sponsors, is the original Cub Scout pack in Lunenburg and has been in continuous operation since its charter was issued on November 18, 1935.10
The unit number was Pack 1. For a short period of time there was a Pack 2, which ended up folding and combining back into Pack 1 to form Pack 12. In 1998, in order to strengthen the ties with the Boy Scout Troop 1728 and the Town of Lunenburg
, the unit number was changed to Pack 1728.
The original sponsor was “A Group of Citizens.” Other unit sponsors have included American Legion Post #283, the United Parish, the Lunenburg Sportsmen’s’ Club and Maki Home Center. The Lunenburg PTO has sponsored the Pack since 1989. The first Cubmaster was Elmer LeLachear with the Pack Committee Chairman being Rev. Donald Fraser. The original Cub Scouts of Lunenburg in 1935 were:
Roger Foster Age 11
David Hague Age 9
William Hidden Age 10
Robert Liljegren Age 9
Robert Logan Age 10
Stanley Page Age 11
Robert Porter Age 10
Edward Riley Age 11
Russell Simons Age 11
Carl Thompson, Jr. Age 11
Cub Scouts and Tiger Cubs, the program for first graders, continues as a strong and active part of the community.
EXPLORING IN LUNENBURG
Exploring is the older boy program of the Boy Scouts of America. Exploring has been either high adventure or vocationally oriented. One post was started in 1955 by some of the older Scouts from Troop 3.
In 1967, Post 27 was formed and sponsored by the Lunenburg Fire Fighters Association. Dave Dyer was the advisor. There were about 10 members of the post, with most coming from Troop 1. The post dissolved in 1969 when many of the scouts became old enough to become members of the fire department. The present Deputy Chief of the Lunenburg Fire Dept., Dave Demers, was a member of Post 27.
Recently a new program for older youth has been developed by the BSA called Venturing. This is a co-ed program. A new Venturing unit is being put together with the members coming from BSA Troop 1728 and the Girl Scout troops in Lunenburg.