Ana səhifə

Alfred Peter Hansen and Adelia Dubois Bassett

Yüklə 130.5 Kb.
ölçüsü130.5 Kb.

Alfred Peter Hansen and Adelia Dubois Bassett

I (Stan) have talked with my brothers and sister to find Alfred and Adelia’s history. Little verbal history exits about them. They told few stories about themselves or their ancestors. The following are the best I could gather. It may not be completely true.

Alfred was born in a log cabin in Lago Nov. 30, 1896, the son of Lars Peter Hansen and Dorthea Mickelsen. Alfred attended grade school at Lago and high school at Central High School at Thatcher before the existing red brick building was built. Alfred attended one year at Idaho Tech at Pocatello. He served as constable for about fifteen years. He was a member of the school board from age 25 to 65. He would attend church for special occasions and when a member of his family was involved. I can just remember going to basketball games at Thatcher high school with the family when Phil or Bud were playing. He ran the dance hall at the Lago School. Community dances were held every Saturday night during the winter. Some pictures show him present during Boy Scout outings.
Alfred lost his hair from fever with the flu in about 1919. Adelia and Alfred came down with diphtheria in about 1929 and were quarantined for a period of time. Other families took the children until the sickness passed.
Adelia was born at Lago September 3, 1894, the last daughter of William Henry and Marette Cook. She attended grade school at Lago and High school at Thatcher. She also attended Idaho Tech at Pocatello, one year. She clerked in her fathers store for 8 years and was cashier in the Keith O'Brien store in SLC for 2 years. She organized the first girl’s basketball team in Lago. The team was not defeated for 2 years. She served as president, counselor, and secretary of the Lago Ward Relief society, a Sunday School teacher and secretary of the HYN club. Early pictures of Adelia show her riding horses, attending parties and picnicking with friends. Her smile is bright. She dressed in floppy hats and stylish dresses.
Her children who were away from home before she died relate that she would write them letters and include a few dollars. Money was short.
They were married in Pocatello, Idaho in 31 August 1918.
Memory of Clarence (Bud) Hansen
Bud (Clarence) remembers: Ma was about 5'6" of slim build, never put on much weight, maybe because she had to work so hard, packing water, washing clothes in the old fashion hand washers, feeding hired men. We had a big garden and she canned the produce. No electricity until 1929. Just can remember living in the "old Morehead" place up at the sawmill site on the hill in Lago. Then Dad rented and ran the WH Bassett place (grandpa's) and moved into their home. They lived in one end and we the other. In 1928 Dad bought the place. In 1929 grandpa died in a car accident, but grandma (Met) remained with us. We kids had the responsibility of getting in her wood and coal, gather her eggs and belng generally useful. The W.H.Bassett store was then sold to Hyrum Swenson, Ma's brother-in-law. Grandma passed away in 1934. By then Ma, who was always active in the church, was Relief Society president and kept busy doing service for her neighbors. Dallas and I kept busy with our own private bird sanctuary. We had hawks and magpies and woodpeckers. We kept them in our tree house. Then one night we found two baby owls. We just stuck them in the chicken feed box. Later that evening Ma went to feed the chickens and she could see those huge eyes sticking up and got quite a fright. She wouldn't let us keep them and the babies were returned to their nest.
I remember us kids were sent to Grandma Hansen's and when we came home Phil was there. That was Sept. of 1924. When we went to Grandma's, her girls and Emil were there and we had to milk cows and pack milk. When the aunts scrubbed the floor they made us sit on the chair until it was dry. It was not easy to get around Lago in the early days. Trout Creek would flood and cause extra miles going around instead of over the bridge. We got water in the house in 1931 or 32. After Grandma Bassett died we got a bathroom out of part of her kitchen.
When I was in high school I remember that Ma went up to see a doctor in Pocatello. She was having trouble using her arms. He told her to change her deodorant. Stan was born 1934. In about 1937 Ma had surgery for a cyst on her ovary by Dr. Kackley in Soda Springs. By the time I graduated and left home her arm was bothering her quite a bit. In Feb. of 1942 while at work at Vega Air Craft in Burbank, California I received a telegram that Ma had passed away following surgery for breast cancer.

Memory from Franklin Michael (Mike) Mickelsen

As I remember, Bud had just joined the Navy, (this part I am not sure of). Adelia went up to the hospital, and had breast surgery. She died on the operating table. Because I felt so close to the family, I went over to Alfred's to pay my respects and condolences. They were like my own family because my youngest brother was six years older than me, and Dallas, Bud, Dorothy, and Phil, were like siblings, because they were my age. Bud was there, and there were a lot of people that came. She was one of the most loved women in the community. She had been Relief Society President, with my mother as a counselor, and had been a counselor to my mother when she was president. My brother in law, Vernon Mendenhall, tried to give Alfred comfort, and he broke down and cried so hard, that Alfred wound up comforting him. I remember that when we were crowded with company at home, I would go over to your house to sleep.

One time Dorothy asked me to come to a dinner that she had fixed. It was a very good dinner and some time during the meal, the cat jumped on my lap, and a cat hair got on my napkin. After dinner, it mysteriously got on my plate. Dorothy disappeared to her room, and your Mother came in and asked if it had been in the food, and said how embarrassed Dorothy was. I hadn't thought anything of it, but your Mother was so concerned and sweet that there was no choice but to love her.

Memory from William (Bill) Kay Bassett

Regarding my memories of Aunt "Dele", I can only remember that she was by far my favorite aunt, and that she was especially warm and friendly with me.  I was something of a "problem" growing up and not all that well accepted, but never felt that way in Lago.   As I recall, I spent several summers there, as a toddler visiting with my Mother, and then 4 or 5 summers between ages 6 and 13. I remember sacking wheat on the combine, driving a "bull-rake", riding the derrick horse, and pitching hay on the haystack. Phil taught me how to ride a horse (sort of). One summer I fell off the haystack and broke my arm and Aunt Dele was my comfort. She arranged to get me to a doctor.   All of the Hansen’s were good to me, even Phil, but I especially felt close to Aunt "Dele".   She always had a smile and I can still see the warmth in her eyes as she put up with me.   I also recall that all of my sisters and brothers (most of them grew up in Lago) felt the same about her. 
Information gathered in about 2005 – 2008 by Stanley D. Hansen.

© 2008 All Rights Reserved by Our Generations Ancestors Family Association

Verilənlər bazası müəlliflik hüququ ilə müdafiə olunur © 2016
rəhbərliyinə müraciət