|Quiz “Do you know…?”
1. Where did George Gordon Byron spend his childhood? /Aberdeen/
2. What is Aloway famous for? /The birthplace of Robert Burns/
3. Who wrote “People and Prejudice and Emma”? /Jane Austen/
4. Who was the creator of Peter Pan? /J.M. Barrie/
5. Whose birthday do the British celebrate on January 25? /Robert Burns/
6. Who wrote hundreds of song and poems, mainly on Scottish country life, love and national
pride /Robert Burns/
7. His real name was Charles Dodgson. What is his pseudonym? /Lewis Carrol/
8. Her most famous characters are the detectives “Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. Who is she?
/Dame Agatha Christie/
9. A popular British writer, especially of children’s books which often combine frightening with
humour. Who is this? /Roald Dahl/
10. His many books described life in Victorian England and showed how hard it was, especially
for the poor and for children. One of his characters is Oliver Twist. /Charles Dickens/
11. An English poet and writer of plays, born in the USA, won the 1948 Nobel Prize for
literature. /T.S. Eliot/
12. The greatest dramatist of the 16th century. /W. Shakespeare/
13. A British writer of detective stories who invented the character Adam Dalgliesh. Many of her
books have been filmed for television. /P.P. James/
14. A writer of the humour book “Three men in a boat”. /Jerome K. Jerome/
15. In his books he described traveling to Wonderland. /Lewis Carrol/
16. A British writer considered to be one of the best short story writers in England. His best-
known novel is Of Human Bondage. /W. Somerset Maugham/
17. The author of The tale of Peter Rabbit and the Tailor of Glaucester. /Beatrix Potter/
18. The author of Ivanhoe. /Sir Walter Scott/
20. This is a tragedy about two young people from Verona. Who is the author of it, what is it?
/ “Romeo and Juliet” W. Shakespeare/
21. Many well-known expressions came from this author. He also wrote some very good poetry
especially the sonnets. He worked as an actor at the Globe Theatre. /W. Shakespeare/
22. His adventure story about the Treasure Island is well-known all over the world. Who is this
author? /Robert Louis Stevenson/
23. An Irish writer. The author of Dracula. /Bram Stoker/
24. This author was born in India. His famous books include Vanity Fair.
/William Makepeace Thackeray/
25. An English writer famous for his fantasy books The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
26. An Irish writer best known for his play The importance of being earnest and his story
The picture of Dorian Gray. /Oscar Wilde/
27. The main character of this book lived on the island. Who is this?
/Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe/
28. The main character of his books was a famous detective lived in Baker Street.
29. This writer is honored by British people. The author’s festival is held in Rochester.
30. The statue of this literary character is in Picardy Place, Edinburgh. /Sherlock Holmes/
31. The author of The Jungle book. He was awarded the Noble Prize. /Rudyard Kipling/