TTGT11 VI: Lick My Love Pump
Written by Oklahoma University Academic Team.
Edited by Mike Ose of the University of Iowa Academic Quiz Club.
Theme: Some say good things come in threes. Some say bad things come in threes. This packet proves that good and bad things can come in fours, as well. Who’s up for a ménage à neuf?
1. The main issue at stake was the use of the power of veto in the Security Council. This was to come to light at the Yalta meeting again and continued at the San Francisco (*) conference. The Republic of China, the Soviet Union, Great Britain and the US met in the fall to discuss the possibilities of creating an international organization after the war. It was also discussed what relation the new body would have to the still existing League of Nations. FTP name this 1944 conference held near Washington, D.C.
Dumbarton Oaks Conference
2. Scene 1 of the first work begins with Three Rhinemaidens playing about within the Rhine river, where they live. Alberich, a dwarf who lives under the Rhine (*), comes up into their river and begins to flirt with them but is roughly rejected by each in turn. The works might be as steeped in fantasy as Tolkein, but these operas are a four part group, not a trilogy. For ten points, what are the collective names for Das Rheingold, Die Walkure, Siegfried and Gotterdammerung?
The Ring Cycle or Ring des Niebelungen
3. This group got its title by stealing four light bulbs and masquerading them as the ‘orbs of destiny.’ Since then, this incompetent hodgepodge has traveled around Corneria, (*) the Dwarflands and elsewhere on various adventures. Created by Brian Clevinger, featuring Final Fantasy sprites and including members such as Red Mage and Fighter McWarrior. FTP, name this group featured on the web comic 8-bit Theater.
The Light Warriors
4. They are Leviathan, Lucifer, Belial, and Satan, according to Anton LeVey. LeVey, in his Satanic Bible (*), identifies them with water, air, earth, and fire, respectively. They share a title with Frederik of Denmark, though their realm is far from Jutland. FTP name these royals from Satanism.
Crown Princes of Hell (prompt on partial answers)
5. The first was composed around 1500 BC but not written down until after 300 BC. These four texts are some of the most ancient in the world. As they are the most ancient extensive texts in an Indo-European language (*), they are often used for comparative linguistics. Among them are the Yajur, which details sacrificial rites and the Sama which is a collection of hymns. FTP, what is the collective name for these major Hindu texts, the most famous of which is the Rig?
6. In 1976 the members of this group were arrested and removed from their positions of power. Two dead men Kang Sheng and Xie Fuzhi (*) were also named to be a part of this group, which technically made the group’s title erroneous. The arrested members of the group were Zhang Chunqiao, Yao Wenyuan, Wang Hongwen, and Jiang Qing, Mao Zedong’s widow. FTP, give the title of this group of Communist Party leaders from the People’s Republic of China.
The Gang of Four
7. Identity, vertical reflection, horizontal reflection, and (*) 180° rotation. These are the elements of this group, the smallest, non-cyclic group. Also called the Viergruppe, FTP name this group named after mathematician Felix.
Klein four-group or Viergruppe (before it is mentioned)
8. Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990, this group had hits with “Loving You is Sweeter than Ever,” “Something About You,” (*) “I Can’t Help Myself,” “Baby I Need Your Loving,” and “Reach Out, I’ll Be There.” FTP, name this Motown group fronted by the deep-voiced Levi Stubbs.
The Four Tops
9. Lar was the god of the farm and harvest, Penate was the god of the storeroom, (*) Janus was the god of the house, and Vesta was the goddess of the hearth. FTP, these four comprised the Four Gods of this city in ancient times.
The Four Gods of Rome
10. Has life got you down? Then perhaps you should these four items: The Nature of Existence, (*) The Nature of Causation, Ultimate Freedom in Perfect Existence, and The Way of Supreme Life. This is, for ten points, what cornerstone of Buddhist belief?
The Four Noble Truths (also accept Elementary Truths)
11. Francis Guthrie was a student at University College London where he studied under Augustus DeMorgan. One day, Guthrie put a question to DeMorgan and DeMorgan wrote a letter to Hamilton (*) in Dublin. The letter begins: “A student of mine asked me today to give him a reason for a fact which I did not know was a fact - and do not yet.” Hamilton of Dublin replied “I am not likely to attempt your quaternion of colour very soon.” It was Alfred Bray Kempe who finally gave proof for, FTP, what conundrum that has puzzled cartographers for years.
Four-colour conjecture, or theory (prompt on answers about “Map” theories and the like)
12. It has a Main Ring, an Inner Ring, a Plateau, and an Inside Diffuse Ring. It is the only planet (*) in our solar system with only, you guessed it, four rings. It has a spot, not a red one, but rather a Great Dark Spot. It was predicted by Adams and Leverrier separately and later discovered by Galle. FTP, what orb is the farthest ringed planet from the sun?
13. They arose in 1718, and again in 1814, the former against Phillip V of Spain, the latter against Napoleon I. The 1814 version was often confused with a “Holy” one (*). That of 1834 was formed to strengthen the constitutional government of Spain. Great Britain is the only member to make all three occurrences of these Battle Royales. The 1814 one ended when France joined in 1818, forming the first Quintuple Alliance. FTP name these four-man tag-teams.
14. The speech began “I address you, the members of this new Congress, at a moment unprecedented in the history of the union. I use the word "unprecedented" because at no previous time has American security been as seriously threatened from without as it is today.” (*) The speaker goes on to ask for higher taxes for defense and states: “If the congress maintains these principles the voters, putting patriotism ahead pocketbooks, will give you their applause. In the future days which we seek to make secure, we look forward to a world founded upon [these].” FTP, what ideas were outlined in a Jan 6, 1941 speech and were later incorporated into the Atlantic Charter.
Four Freedoms or freedom (of speech,) (from want,) (of worship,) (from fear)
15. The third of the four stanzas begins: “And where is that band who so vauntingly swore/ That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion/ A home and a country should leave us no more?” (*) The fourth begins: “Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand/ Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!” The last line of each stanza remains the same, while the penultimate substitutes “O long may it wave” and “forever shall wave” in place of the well-known “banner yet wave.” FTP name this Francis Scott Key work.
The Star-spangled Banner (prompt on National Anthem)
16. The 1979 Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded jointly to Sheldon Glashow, Steven Weinberg, and Abdus Salam for independent work on this theory (*) of the first steps in the area of a Grand Unified Theory. The Standard Model and the Electroweak Theory all relate to these, itemized as: Strong Nuclear, Weak Nuclear, Electromagnetic, and Gravity. FTP, these are what concepts from physics.
four forces of nature, or four fundamental forces
17. The author divided Isabel Myers's sixteen types into four groups. They are sometimes labeled as SPs, SJs, NFs, and NTs. Einstein and Margaret Thatcher (*) are rationals. Gandhi and E. Roosevelt are idealists. Hemingway and Streisand are artisans. George Washington and Mother Teresa are guardians. FTP, name these concepts outlined by the author of Please Understand Me II, David Keirsey.
The four temperaments
18. It is the most famous of the author’s interludes, written in 1530. It tells the story of four people who all try to out-do each other in telling big lies. It has no ulterior purpose (*), unless it be to expose in an amusing manner the weakness of both religionists and medicine men. There is nothing strikingly original in the plot, and long passages are taken bodily from Chaucer. FTP name this work by English dramatist John Heywood about a Peddler, a Palmer, a Pardoner and a Poticary.
The Four P’s
19. WARNING: NOT TWO, NOT THREE, BUT FOUR ANSWERS REQUIRED! LORDY! LORDY!
If they are in tune, we call it eucrasia. If they are out of whack, then it’s dyscrasia. The Unani school of Indian medicine mirrors these western concepts (*). Galen thought they determined a person's susceptibility towards particular diseases as well as behavioral and emotional inclinations. FTP name these elements associated with the words phlegmatic, sanguine, melancholic, and cholic first espoused by Hypocrites.
Black Bile, Yellow Bile, Phlegm, and Blood (prompt on Four Humours)
20. It was authored by Otis E. Hall of a Kansas chapter. Iowa Congressman Tom Latham recited it on the floor of the House in 1998. It reads: "I pledge my head (*) to clearer thinking, my heart to greater loyalty, my hands to larger service, and my health to better living, for my club, my community, and my country." FTP, so reads the pledge of this nationwide organization.
The 4-H Club pledge (if they say oath or something, that’s dead wrong)
21. For this question, you will have to think back to the last time you ate (for your sake, I hope, this moring). Everyone knows there are four different tastes that can be identified by the human tongue, but can you recall, from sweet, sour, salty, and bitter tastes, which two can be identified by the taste buds at the front of the tongue. (*) You will earn ten points if you can.
Sweet and Salty
1. Classical composers have often set these to music and they are widely known as the canticles. Their text is derived from the Gospel of Luke and thus they are also known as the Lucan Canticles. Each of the four are named for words that come near the beginning of their Latin translation. For five for one, ten for two, twenty for three, and thirty for all four, name these Lucan Canticles.
Answer: the Magnificat, the Benedictus, the Gloria in Excelsis Deo, and the Nunc Dimitis
2. In the bible, the four horsemen make their appearance in Revelations. In this packet, they make their appearance NOW. The riders’ horses are white, red, black and pale. The riders also, in no particular order, carry a scale, a sword, a bow, and nothing. FFPE, answer these questions about the horseman, their mounts, and the things they carried. The moderator will say neither correct nor incorrect until the end of the bonus.
1) FFPE, name the item he carried and the color of The Conqueror’s horse.
Answer: Carries a bow, rides a white horse
2) War carried a sword. What color was his horse?
3) Famine carried this object and rode this color horse, FFPE.
Answer: scales, black horse
4) Death rides a pale horse. What does he carry?
3. Answer these questions about Spanish languages that aren’t Spanish, FTPA.
1) This language is spoken in the northeastern cities of Tarragoña and Lérida.
Answer: Catalonian or catalán
2) This language is spoken in the northern cities of San Sebastián and Bilbao.
Answer: Basque or euskera
3) This language is spoken in the northern cities of La Coruña and Santiago de Compostela.
Answer: Galician or gallego
4. Thirty, twenty, ten, five. Name the group of four cartoon characters when given hints about the members. Remember - the group’s name is what is being looked for.
30: Virginia, Joy, Kristen, Jennifer
20: Growth spurt! School spirit! Pity friend! Psoriasis!
10: Cheerleader, So and So, What’s Her Face, The Ugly One. Drawn by someone named Strong Bad, they appear on Homestarrunner.com.
Answer: Teen Girl Squad
5. When it comes to voices, most people know soprano, alto, tenor and bass. However, there are four more subdivisions that label voices not quite within these ranges. On a five/fifteen basis… (5 for 1, 15 for both)
Name both the two female subdivisions.
Answer: Mezzo-soprano, contralto
As well as the two male subdivisions.
Answer: Countertenor, baritone
6. Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. Four stars located within particular constellations are given a special name, the Royal Stars. Given a description of the star relative to the constellation and the constellation it’s located in, give the name of that star. Five for one, ten for two, twenty for three and thirty for all four.
“Eye of the Bull” in Taurus Answer: Aldebaran
“Heart of the Lion” in Leo Answer: Regulus
“Heart of the Scorpion” in Scorpio Answer: Antares
“Mouth of the Southern Fish” in Pisces Answer: Fomalhaut
7. Described in a poem as immortal, these four were also poets and are often considered the greatest Italian poets of all time. FFPE, name the members of the Immortal Four.
Answer: Dante Alighieri, Francesco Petrarch, Lodovico Ariosto (either), and Torquato Tasso.(either)
For a further FPE, name the author who ‘immortalized’ them by giving them the title of 'immortal' in a poem of his own and name the poem in which he did that.
Answer: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, “The Wayside Inn”
8. Pawnee mythology had four "world-quarter gods" that were central in its belief system. Each was symbolic of a number of different things, such as seasons and varieties of trees. For ten points each, given a world-quarter god, name the season that it symbolized.
1) Black Star Answer: Autumn or Fall
2) Red Star Answer: Summer
3) White Star Answer: Winter
9. Sleep researchers have identified and labeled four different basic types of brain waves. Name them FFPE.
Answer: Theta, Alpha, Beta, Delta
Now, FTP, correctly order these four types of waves from the highest frequency to the lowest frequency.
Answer: Beta, Alpha, Theta, Delta
10. Name the Four Great Ancient Capitals of China from clues for the stated number of points:
FFP, this is the current capital of the People’s Republic of China
FFP, this was the capital of all of the “Six Dynasties” and also the Republic of China before WWII and after the war until Chang Kai-shek moved to Taiwan.
FTP, this was the capital of the Western Han dynasty from 206 BC to AD 9, the Western Wei Dynasty, the Sui Dynasty, and the Tang Dynasty.
Answer: Xi'an (also accept Chang'an)
FTP, this was the capital of Eastern Zhou dynasty, Eastern Han dynasty from AD 25 to 220, Kingdom of Wei during the Three Kingdoms, Western Jin dynasty, and the Later Tang dynasty.
11. Baroque music used four basic scales. For ten points each, given the name of scale, recite the notes of the scale from C to C, in ascending order (sharps and/or flats may be necessary).
Major Scale Answer: C D E F G A B C
Pure Minor Scale Answer: C D Eb F G Ab Bb C
Harmonic Minor Scale Answer: C D Eb F G Ab B C
12. Given the review from the website fwfr.com or Four Word Film Review, name the movie FTPA.
Of the 1955 version, is says “Granny outwits wily Guinness.” the 2004 version might substitute Hanks for Guiness.
Answer: The Ladykillers
“Lager lovers clobber corpses” and “Beer, Cricket, and Zombies” are two such four-word reviews for this movie.
Answer: Shaun of the Dead
“Hot guys shoot hoses” and “Phoenix rises from ashes” describe this release.
Answer: Ladder 49
13. Four times in the Mortal Kombat series, the final match occurred in an arena belonging to the character that was fought. Identify the villain when provided a description on a 5-10-20-30 basis.
-A: His level is a small circular platform in his fortress. His Inner Sanctum, where he visits other planes, is visible at certain angles. In Mortal Kombat: Deception, his arena features a laser death trap.
Answer: Quan Chi
-B: Originally lurking in Goro's Lair, he ordered Li Mei's people to construct an extravagant palace for him in order to house an enormous swirling collection of souls.
Answer: Shang Tsung
-C: Thousands of Outworld residents cheered for him as he proceeded to taunt you and defeat you rather handily while Kano and Sonya watched.
Answer: Shao Kahn
-D: The newest villain has possession of the six Kamidogu that Shujinko retrieved. One of his favorite tactics is to launch hapless opponents into some of the spikes that surround his arena.
Answer: Onaga (or the Dragon King)
14. If you've had any experience with aerospace physics, this bonus should be a breeze. Given the motion it produces, give the correct one of the four forces of flight that permits airplanes to function.
-A. Forward motion Answer: Thrust
-B. Upward motion Answer: Lift
-C. Backward motion Answer: Drag
15. OK, time for a bonus about sex! For five points each, please name the four phases of human sexual intercourse experienced by both men and women, as discovered by Masters & Johnson.
Answer: Excitement, plateau, orgasm, and resolution
For another ten points, Masters & Johnson also discovered a fifth stage experienced only by men which is called this.
The Refractory Period
16. Theologists may like trinities, but philosophers prefer quadruples. Identify the philosopher most associated with each of the following famous foursomes, for ten points each.
-A: The material, the formal, the efficient and the final. This philosopher proposed that we employ four very different kinds of explanatory principle, the four causes, to the question of why a thing is.
-B: Of the Tribe, of the Cave, of the Marketplace and of the Theater. Concerning an image held in the mind, which receives veneration but is itself without substance; this philosopher did not regard the four idols as symbols, but rather as fixations.
Answer: Sir Francis Bacon
-C: Of confusing cause and effect, of a false causality, of imaginary causes, and of free will. Found in this philosopher's book subtitled "Wie man mit dem Hammer philosophirt," these are also called the four great errors.
Answer: Fredrick Nietzche
17. Only two actors have appeared in 4 episodes of The Twilight Zone. Name them from the episode titles for fifteen points, or from a more well-known work for five points.
-A. “Death Ship,” “A Passage for Trumpet,” “In Praise of Pip,” “A Game of Pool”
-a. Oscar in The Odd Couple
Answer: Jack Klugman
-B. “Time Enough At Last,” “The Obsolete Man,” “Printer’s Devil,” “Mr. Dingle, the Strong”
-b. The Penguin in Batman
Answer: Burgess Meredith
18. While many different substances are commonly considered gems, there are only four real 'gemstones' officially recognized by jewelers. Five for one, ten for two, twenty for three, and thirty for all four, name the four organic gemstones.
Answer: Amber, coral, pearl, and ivory
19. Ancient texts make reference to the original four Gates of London, which date back to near the beginning of the last millennium. For ten points each, name any three of the four original Gates of London. Here's a hint: each correct response has the phrase 'gate' in its name.
Answer: Aldgate, Aldersgate, Ludgate, and Bridgegate (any three will do)
20. Racial apartheid was finally ended in South Africa in 1993. For five points each, name the four classifications of race used during the era of apartheid.
Answer: African, Asian, Coloured, and White
Due to the substantial Japanese trade with South Africa, Japanese citizens were not placed in the 'asian' category, but rather in the 'white' category, being referred to as, for ten points, "Honorary what?"
21. Most students learn in elementary school learn about the Four Basic Food Groups, or perhaps the Food Guide Pyramid. However, some health experts have another list: the Four Evil Food Groups, comprised of unhealthy things that are generally overconsumed by the general public. On a 5-10-20-30 basis, name these four substances universally shunned by nutritionists.
Answer: Sugar, salt, fat, and cholesterol