|Presentations with Microsoft PowerPoint
Before you start making your presentation, you should have an outline of your project.
Create a folder new for your presentation, pictures, videos, and sound files. Store all related materials in this one folder.
Save and work out of the computer’s hard drive. Use your USB flash storage device or zip for transport only.
Always run the presentation from the machine hard drive.
Click on MS PowerPoint
1. Select the first slide format for your title slide. Use this only for the first slide.
2. Click on Format then Slide Design.
3. Choose a design click Apply.
Fill in title and any subtitles.
4. Click on “New Slide” icon or “Insert” and “New Slide”
The second option from the “New Slide” window will work for all slides.
Plain Slide Backgrounds
Changes the background color to a solid color fill design:
Click on Format on top menu, choose Slide Background. The drop-down menu gives options for More Colors and Fill Effects.
Click on desired color scheme for background.
Click on Apply to All to use this on all slides in the presentation.
Text Colors and Styles
1. Click on View, Master, then Slide Master. Any changes you make in the master slide will happen to all the slides.
2. Format then Font will open the text formatting window.
Normally use 60 point for main titles, 40 point for other text.
If the size is too big, you may be writing too much.
Choose a color that contrasts with the background.
Use a common bullet (dot, square, etc.)
(Click on View then Normal to return to slide)
1. Click on Insert, Picture, then From File. (Do not use Microsoft Clip Art)
2. Picture can be placed anywhere on slide and modified using tool palette.
Linking Video and Sound Clips
1. Click on Insert, Movies and Sounds then Movie from File or Sound from File.
2. Videos or sound clips must be stored in the same folder as your presentation.
Animations (Actions of text and pictures, normally controlled by mouse click)
1. Click View then Normal
2. Click on text box or graphic to be animated.
3. Click on Slide Show, Animation, Custom.
4. Click on Effects tab. Select an entry effect.
5. Select Order and Timing to make animation automatic without a mouse click.
6. The Options tab changes text options. Generally, leave the standard settings.
Transitions (Actions when moving from one slide to the next)
This is best done to all the slides at once.
1. Click on View then Slide Sorter
2. Select all slides except the first one. (Hold down “Shift” key and click on each slide.)
3. Click on the transition drop menu found on upper left.
4. Choose the desired transition.
5. Select View then Normal to return to slides.
It is possible to create links to images and text that will work similar to the links on the Internet. It is recommended that this be used to create an index page.
Select text or an image to link.
Click on the hyperlink icon or select Insert the Hyperlink.
Click on Document tab.
Click on Locate at lower right.
Click on the “drop menu” triangle next to “Slide Titles.”
Choose the slide you wish to link to.
Keep in mind that the product is a presentation, not a written document. Normally, there would be no need for printed copies. It is useful, though, to have a printout of the final draft with an area for notes next to the slide pictures.
1. Click on File then Print.
2. Click on drop-down menu (default is Copies & Pages)
3. Choose Microsoft PowerPoint
4. Click on “Print What” drop-down menu (default is Slides)
5. Click Handouts (3 slides per page)
6. Click Print button.