|Timothy E. Scheffler, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 388
Volcano, HI 96785
email: firstname.lastname@example.org -or- email@example.com
Canadian Citizen and United States Permanent Resident Alien.
Ph.D., Anthropology (Archaeology): The Pennsylvania State University, 2008.
M.A., Anthropology (Archaeology): The Pennsylvania State University, 1998.
B.A., Anthropology and Earth Sciences: University of California at Santa Cruz, 1993.
- Archaeologist (Principal Investigator) and Field Scientist; Geohazards Consultants International, Inc. Volcano, HI. All phases of Cultural Resource Management contracting in addition to Geological field survey, core sampling, radiocarbon collection, aerial photo survey, specimen preparation, field trip interpretation, quality control officer. Dr. J.P. "Jack" Lockwood, President. 2003 to current
- Assistant Hawai`i Island Archaeologist; State Historic Preservation Division, Department of Land and Natural Resources. Hilo, HI. Reviewing and approving archaeological materials for compliance with Hawaii Revised Statutes, Chapter 6E. Nancy McMahon, Acting Archaeology Branch Chief. 2007 - 2008.
- Project Archaeologist; Archaeological Consultants of the Pacific. Kailua-Kona, HI. CRM assessments, inventory and data recovery field work and write-up. Joseph Kennedy. 2003 – 2004.
- Principal Investigator; Instituto Hondureño de Anthropologia e Historia. Archaeologist in charge of the Proyecto El Gigante. Dr. George Hasemann (deceased) and Lic. Carmen Julia Fajardo, Directora IHAH. 1998 – 2002.
- Project Archaeologist; KEA Environmental (now EDAW Inc.), San Diego, CA. All phases of archaeological CRM. Andrew York, Rebecca Apple or Dr. Jamie Cleland. 1998 – 1999.
- Crew Chief; Proyecto Acatzingo-Tepeaca. Pennsylvania State University, Dept. of Anthropology. Pedestrian survey in the Mexican Highland valley of Puebla. Systematic regional collection of lithic and ceramic artifacts, and recording of structures. Dr. James Sheehy. 1997.
- Research Assistant, Departmental Computer Technician; Pennsylvania State University, Dept. of Anthropology. Digitizing archaeological collections, stratigraphic profiles, excavation plans, and site surveys. ARCview and AutoCAD training and supervision. Provided support, maintenance of hardware, installation of software, training in software use, and troubleshooting of MS Windows LAN. Nancy Fogelman, Administrative Secretary. 1996 – 1997.
- Archaeological Laboratory Technician; Archaeological and Historical Consultants, Inc. Centre Hall, PA. Cataloging and curation of historic and prehistoric artifacts recovered from CRM contracts, archival research, and graphic work. Connie Hay. 1995 – 1996.
- Research Assistant II; Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii: Kaloko-Honokohau National Historic Park. Field and lab support for archaeological surveys, excavations, field inspections, lab analysis, and data management. Supervised and instructed crews of up to three. Laura Carter-Schuster. 1994 – 1995.
- Resource Management Volunteer in Park; Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Differential GPS surveying and mapping of archaeological resources endangered by Kilauea lava flow. Janet Keswick. 1994.
- CRM Archaeological Technician, various firms. 1993 – 1994.
Petra Resources; Irvine, CA. Orange County Landfill excavations. Patricia Jertberg or Beth Padon. Chambers Group; Irvine, CA. San Joaquin Transportation Corridor excavation. Roger Mason or Larry Carbone. Geoarch Inc.; Pacific Beach, CA. Marine archaeology and remote sensing. Roy Pettus. Keller Environmental Assoc.; San Diego, CA. El Centro Naval Air Facility survey, Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base surveys and ordinance training seminar. Dr. Jamie Cleland or Rebecca Apple. TMI Environmental; San Diego, CA. Private property survey and excavation contracts. Dr. Judy Berryman. Roth and Assoc.; San Diego, CA. Private property survey and excavation contracts. Linda Roth.
- Lecturer; University of Hawai`i at Hilo, Dept. of Anthropology. Introduction to Cultural Anthropology and Introduction to Archaeology ANTH-100/110 (Sprg ’07, Summ’07, Fall ’08, Sprg’09, Fall ’09); 27 total credits.
- Lecturer; Pennsylvania State University, Dept. of Anthropology. Introduction to Archaeology, ANTH-02 (Summer 2002); 3 credits.
- Teaching Assistant; Pennsylvania State University, Dept. of Anthropology. Introductory level courses including North American Indians (Fall97), Introduction to Cultural Anthropology (Sprg98), Laboratory Methods in Archaeology (Fall98), and Introduction to Archaeology (Fall00); 12 total credits.
GRANTS AND FELLOWSHIPS
-Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies, 2001. Research Grant #00071: $9,880.
-Hill Foundation Award, the Pennsylvania State University; Dept. of Anthropology 2001, $4,500.
2008 “The El Gigante Rock Shelter, Honduras.” Ph.D. Thesis, the Pennsylvania State University, Dept. of Anthropology, University Park, PA.
2000 “El Gigante Rockshelter: Archaic Mesoamerica and Transitions to Settled Life.” http://www.famsi.org/reports/00071/. Final Research Report to the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies.
2001 "Research Report on the Proyecto Cueva El Gigante 2000, La Paz, Honduras." Mexicon. Volume XXIII, p115-123.
1999 "Work Plan: Archaeological Surveys for Five Training Areas at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton" Prepared for U.S. Dept. of the Navy, Southwest Division, Naval Facilities Engineering Command, March 1999.
1998 "The Cave in Mesoamerica." Masters Thesis, the Pennsylvania State University, Dept. of Anthropology, University Park, PA.
1995 "Panau Iki Emergency Survey." Field report on file with Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park.
1994 "Kamo`oali`i Petrogyphs." Field report on file with Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park.
(In press) “Paleoindian and Archaic Settlement in Honduras: Evidence from the rock shelter site of “El Gigante” in George Hasemann Memorial Volume, Gloria Lara- Hasemann and Boyd Dixon eds., Tegucigalpa, Honduras.
(In press) "Las Cuevas y Los Abrigos del Sur-Oeste de Honduras: Hallazgos y Inferencia del Recorrido El Gigante - 1998." Yaxkin.
2001 "El Gigante Rock Shelter and the Archaic Hunter-Gathers of Highland Honduras." Paper presented at the 66th Society for American Archaeology meetings; New Orleans.
1999 "Las Cuevas y Los Abrigos del Sur-Oeste de Honduras: Hallazgos y inferencia del recorrido El Gigante-1998." Paper presented at the VII Semenario de Antropología de Honduras, IHAH; Tegucigalpa, Honduras.
1995 "Archaeological Use of Differential Global Positioning System on Hawai`i Island." Paper presented at the Society for Hawaiian Archaeology annual meeting; Honolulu, HI.
Cultural Ecology (especially subsistence and agriculture)
Geoarchaeology (especially caves and rock shelters)
Political economy of Middle-Range Societies (Tribes and Chiefdoms)
Society for Hawaiian Archaeology
Kona Historical Society
English, German, and Spanish
2006-2007 President/Secretary, Volcano Community Association Board of Directors.
2008-2010 Parent Representative, Volcano School of Arts and Sciences Board of Directors.
-Lithic Analysis Workshop: The Washington State University, Pullman. 2000.
-University Research Expeditions Program: University of California at Berkeley. Mangaia, Cook Islands, 1993.
References available upon request