Ana səhifə

I. attendance


Yüklə 19.41 Kb.
tarix27.06.2016
ölçüsü19.41 Kb.
MINUTES OF CSU STAFF COUNCIL MEETING

Thursday, March 5, 2009
I. ATTENDANCE

Members Present: Lacey Allmond, Patti Brooks, Kat Cannella, Brynn Dillon, Shelby Freeman, Birgit Gatlin, Jessie Hudson, Tabitha Kinnerson, Jay Knape, Bernard McCrary, Dana McGlon, Christine Murphey, Stephanie Press, Patsy Redmond, Libby Smith, Liza Smith, Rita Snell, Eddie Woodhouse.
Excused Absences: Marlena Burgess, Jackie Carter, Patty Chappel, Joy Davis, Rebecca Hunter, Angela Johnson, Crystal Jones, Laurie Jones, Simone Jones, Nicole Lee, Debby Mayo

II. CALL TO ORDER

Lacey Allmond called the meeting to order at 10:05 AM. The minutes from the February meeting were accepted as submitted.



III. FINANCIAL REPORT

Book Scholarship - $1,264.10 Foundation - $453.53
IV. COMMITTEE REPORTS


  1. WELCOME COMMITTEE

Lacey reported for Laurie that the campus tour is today. Members weren’t informed of the date of this event. Check with the chair on how to better communicate so that members can be present to introduce themselves to new staff.


  1. STAFF DEVELOPMENT AND SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE

Bernard reported that the spring book scholarship was awarded to Terri Abrams. Bernard is looking into staff development opportunities on campus. This will reduce costs and still allow staff to take part in development opportunities. He is considering a presentation on the millennial generation. Jay stated that one of the visiting provost candidates mentioned partnering with local businesses for staff development opportunities. This will keep costs down and create partnerships within the community. We may want to look into contacting TSYS and AFLAC for such opportunities. Bernard indicated that Legacy Chevrolet is interested in partnering with CSU. Lacey suggested that University Advancement may want to consider this when contacting donors.


  1. ELECTIONS COMMITTEE

No report.


  1. FACULTY/STAFF APPRECIATION COMMITTEE

Lacey reported for Simone that the next event will be the popcorn and coke giveaway usually scheduled in May.


  1. FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE

Lacey stated that no fundraising has occurred this year, so we need to ensure that upcoming events are successful. She indicated that the 9 May 2009 date that has been set for the craft fair does not allow for adequate planning for the event. At least 6 months are needed prior to the event in order to advertise for and obtain vendors. Therefore, she suggested that this event be moved to the fall. This event is the main resource for obtaining funding for the book scholarship and we need to ensure that it is successful. It was also noted that the location of the event should remain at the clocktower, with an indoor location as back-up for inclement weather (Lumpkin Center, Founder’s Hall in the Turner Center). Other fundraisers that were successful and did not require a lot of preparation on the part of staff council included the flower bulb and boston butt sales which can still be scheduled in the next few months.



  1. STAFF SERVICE AWARD COMMITTEE

Lacey reported for Laurie that the Cougar Pride parking sign has not yet been replaced after being stolen. She has submitted an eQuest but has not heard back from Plant Operations. Committee members asked when they would be meeting next. Birgit was asked to e-mail Laurie to check on the next meeting date.



  1. ENVIRONMENTAL COMMITTEE

Kat Cannella stated that she was willing to take over this committee since Meni is unable to continue as a member of staff council at the moment. She will find out who the committee members are, contact them and come up with new projects for this committee. Eddie stated that the partnership with Goodwill Industries is not successful in that they aren’t accepting recyclables as before. He is looking into partnering with the city of Columbus since we are currently paying out more than we are saving on recycling.

V. OLD BUSINESS


  1. BARGAIN BLOG

Jay reported that he has talked to Public Relations and IT regarding this issue. It was delayed because IT was looking into upgrading a channel for that functionality. IT will begin upgrading in March and switch to a new portal by the end of May, which should be complete by the first of June. As an update for new members, Lacey stated that the bargain blog would be an internal way for faculty and staff to buy, sell or trade items. It may also include offering services. Jay indicated that there are still some policy concerns before this will be implemented. As soon as the technological issues are resolved, however, the policy issues can be addressed as well.


  1. TONER CARTRIDGES

Shelby stated that she asked John Lester in Public Relations to place an article in the IMPACT that toner cartridges can be recycled on campus. The article will advertise that any size and type of toner cartridge can be picked up by the warehouse just by putting in an eQuest.


  1. CROSSWALK AT CIE

Christine stated that a crosswalk is needed on Clearview Circle to cross back and forth between the Center for International Education and the CCT/UH area. This is a dangerous area since cars come onto Clearview Circle from University Avenue at a good rate of speed and there is nowhere for pedestrians to cross the street safely. Eddie will look into this further.

VI. NEW BUSINESS



  1. STRATEGIC PLAN

Lacey reported that staff council was asked for input on the new strategic plan. It seemed, however, that the consultant who was hired for this project did not consider many of the suggestions from CSU when creating a new mission and vision statement. There were only three meetings held, one of which was online and one of which the consultant missed.


  1. LACEY’S LEAVE SCHEDULE

Lacey reported that her baby is due on 26 April. Therefore, Liza will be taking over the duties of Chair beginning at the April meeting. Therefore, please begin to direct any questions or comments to Liza.


  1. RELAY FOR LIFE

Brynn announced that this event will be held on 15 May 2009 at 7 pm at Kinnett Stadium, Shaw High School. The team needs members so please contact Brynn or Lyn Riggsby-Gonzalez, Career Center, who is the team leader. Team members need to raise $100 each. Registration fee is $10, which can be paid online. Brynn stated that proceeds go to a very deserving cause and participants will meet cancer survivors and other community members.


  1. ASHCAN/CIGARETTE BUTT RECEPTACLE AT HOWARD HALL

Christine reported for Patty Chappel that, even though the “smoking hut” has been moved to another location from the HOWARD/ARNOLD courtyard area, students still smoke in that area and leave cigarette butts all over the ground. Can a receptacle be placed there? Lacey stated that, since this is a GA code issue, it needs to be brought to the attention of campus safety. Campus safety (police) has been asked to enforce this issue on other areas of campus, but it has not been a priority for them.


  1. ANNOUNCEMENTS

Lacey indicated that it is important for everyone to read the “In the News” e-mails we receive from PR since it keeps us updated on legislative information.


Lacey also indicated that committees are still accepting members so, if anyone is interested in joining a committee they may still do so. Go to the staff council webpage for information on committees and contact the chair in order to take part.
The issue of furloughs (leave days without pay) was again mentioned and Rita suggested that, if CSU decides it has to go that route, that they first ask for volunteers. Eddie indicated that the rest of the State employees are already taking furloughs (Dept. of Transportation employees for example). It was noted that the Chancellor wants a permanent fix not a temporary one, such as furloughs. Eddie further stated that Dr. Mescon feels the solution is to increase enrollment numbers and credit hours. Therefore, he suggested that all staff should try to recruit within the community to meet this goal. Lacey also indicated that Dr. Mescon is pushing for a 24/7 campus in order to accommodate non-traditional students as well as attract more students. If staff were here later in the evenings and on weekends we could increase numbers in many areas. Libby stated that Dr. Mescon is still working with department heads on ways to decrease costs. She suggested that staff council could come up with ideas to decrease costs as well, rather then implementing furloughs.
Brynn announced that Mr. Emanuel Jones, owner of Legacy Chevrolet, will be speaking on 16 March 2009 regarding his acquisition of Bill Heard Chevrolet.
Eddie asked whether or not an e-mail went out to let staff know that they can donate to staff council through the Annual Fund. Shelby indicated that she could contact Meri Robinson to ask if staff council could be added to the donation card as a selection.
Patty mentioned that inter-campus envelopes can be obtained from Connie Brewer’s office, as she has quite a few. Contact Connie if you need any inter-campus envelopes as this will save money instead of having to purchase them.


  1. ADJOURNMENT

Meeting adjourned at 10:55am
Respectfully submitted by

Christine Murphey




Verilənlər bazası müəlliflik hüququ ilə müdafiə olunur ©atelim.com 2016
rəhbərliyinə müraciət